Thread: The front porch

The front porch

I was at a friends house this evening who lives in a small community of about twenty people 4 miles up in the mountains with a river that flows 100' in front of his house, very peacefull place to relax after a hard days work. We were sitting on the front porch of his house grilling and drinking beer with their neighbors pretty much like we always do every time I go up there. If it's 90 in the city it's 75 there so nobody up there has A/C not even swamp coolers. Everyone always spends their time on the porch up there it's where people go to socilize. The farm house back home had no A/C so thats where we spent all out time in the summer as well. Now with A/C, TV, computers, seems nobody sits out on their porch like they use to and socilize with their neighbors, kinda sad in a way. I wish I didn't live in this apartment and had a front porch again. I know where I would be relaxing in the eveings.

Here is some interesting information on the great American front porch.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CLASS/AM...cook/first.htm
    Last edited by Tiger93rsl; 07-17-2009 at 07:45 AM.

If I sat on my front porch, I would be home invaded or a vicitm of a drive-by-shooting in minutes. Ahhh.. how I miss the good ol' days.

I sit on my porch every morning and watch the sun come up drinking coffee and every evening I watch the sun go down drinking beer

I dont like to smoke cigars in my house
    so I sit on the front porch every evening
    and relax with a good cigar
    watch all the critters running around
    and enjoy the evening
    If con is the opposite of pro
    is congress the opposite of progress?

We have front and rear decks and a "cabana" in the back yard with our own 7 acre lake, we sit in the cabana everynight it has a big fire place for the winter, and has 7X12 doors on each side so we can adjust for the wind.

Nearest neighbor is about 1/2 of a mile away

Fun to sit on the dock at night and feed the fish, got some big ones but I'm too lazy to clean them

It's our little piece of heaven

sounds real nice Rick,
    wish I could have gotten by to see it when I was in Bossier City
    If con is the opposite of pro
    is congress the opposite of progress?

When I was looking for a home to buy, we had one requirement. It had to have a front porch that one could have enough room to sit and enjoy and receive guests and what not. If I add on, it would expand that to be a wrap around.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.