Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can Trane coils be repaired?

My wife and I just closed on a house last Friday. We paid a home inspector to inspect the house before we bought it. He did not turn on the heat pumps and listed the reason as it was too hot and that standard procedure was not to turn on heat pumps for testing if the temperature was above 65 degrees. The seller swore that he did not have any problems with the heat pumps. I turned them on once and the air was working and felt cool. I didn't leave them on very long. We started working in the house on Monday and turned the the upper unit on. On Tuesday, the upper unit stopped blowing cold air. I checked the fan and I could hear a "hum" sound and immediately turned off the unit and called a repair service to have them service both units.

They came today and said the upper unit fan motor was frozen and would not turn. They replaced the fan motor.

Next they put freon in both units. He had a tester and said the down unit was leaking the freon from the coils. He said you cannot repair the coils in the Trane unit and we would need a new heat pump for the downstairs.

The first floor unit is a Trane TWR036D and the second floor unit is a Trane TWR024C.

To compound the problem, he told me that both units were a 10 seer rating and you can't buy them now according to law. It's one thing to upgrade to a better seer rating but he said I'd have to replace the heat exchanger unit also if I upgraded.

I have several questions here... any help and advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Jack

If you do replace the outdoor unit, the indoor should go along with it, that way they are matched.

What coil is leaking? Indoor or outdoor? How old are your heat pumps? Did he still charge you for the motor?

Long story short.......had a customer that had a teenage son that was gonna go bow hunting, Shot an arrow straight through the cabinet, whacked the outdoor coil, I bought a "bow and arrow repair kit" , well that's what the joke was at the supply house, repaired the coil and it ran for like 10 more years until we ripped it out!

So can the coils be repaired? Well, yes and no.

It's the coil in the outdoor unit. Both units are almost 8 years old.

Thanks for replying.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by dehavenphoto View Post
    It's the coil in the outdoor unit. Both units are almost 8 years old.

Thanks for replying.
    Jack

Hmmmmmm.............let's see, you need a serial number and a complete model number so the Trane guru's can see if you possibly have a warranty!

Ya never know, most likely it was a five year warranty on the coils.

I'm also thinking you may need a second opinion.

Depending on the type of leak and the material that the coil is made of, I would say that, yes, most leaks can be repaired.

Copper is not difficult at all to repair.

Where the difficulty lies is in pinpointing the leak well enough to repair it. I also generally do not repair coils that have a lot of corrosion in an area. I have found that I wind up creating leaks as often as I repair them.

warranty

Thanks guys. I did a search on that unit and it looks like there's a 10 year warranty. I'll get the information tomorrow and check it out. You guys are great!

I like the tagline too... I plan to be among the outlaws myself and am starting to stock up on reloading supplies.

Thanks guys. I did a search on that unit and it looks like there's a 10 year warranty. I'll get the information tomorrow and check it out. You guys are great!

I like the tagline too... I plan to be among the outlaws myself and am starting to stock up on reloading supplies.

I like Guiness and Cheese steaks, send it to the address in my profile!

Hey..........be a sport and keep us posted, K

Trane makes a repair kit for the tubing in the outdoor coils, works great if the instructions are followed.

I'd get a 2nd opinion before shelling out for repairs though. Leaks in the outdoor units generally result in the system loosing most of its refrigerant charge rather quickly.
    If your systems were cooling ok, but were just a little low of refrigerant, I'd suspect the indoor coil before the outdoor coil, especially since it is both systems.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

The repair guy had some kind of tester. He put it near the outdoor unit coils and it beeped. You could also smell and oily smell which he said was the freon.

I'll keep you guys posted. I contacted my realtor for the exact date the house was built. The warranty said it was a 10 year on the coils IF it was installed on or after Oct. 1, 2001. I know the house was built in 2001 but am not sure of the date yet. Hopefully the realtor can get us the info.

Jack

The repair guy had some kind of tester. He put it near the outdoor unit coils and it beeped. You could also smell and oily smell which he said was the freon.

I'll keep you guys posted. I contacted my realtor for the exact date the house was built. The warranty said it was a 10 year on the coils IF it was installed on or after Oct. 1, 2001. I know the house was built in 2001 but am not sure of the date yet. Hopefully the realtor can get us the info.

Jack
    I have had instances where warranty was in question as to date. Find out when your final mechanical inspection was done from the local building department, I have had Lennox as well as Carrier accept a copy of the mechanical final as an install date for warranty.

Jack
    what he did was localize the location of the leak.

You now know that it is in the outdoor unit. But, not necessarily in the coil. If you could actually smell the oil, it is a very large leak and he should have had no trouble pinpointing it.

I second the notion of a second opinion.

Jack
    Did he do any investigation besides waving the leak detector around the unit?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast