Question What do you think of this system?

Hello. I'm getting the following system installed in a 2,000 sq. ft. house in the Dallas Texas area, and was wondering what you thought about it.

Condensor: Trane XR13 model #4TTR3048 (an "A" at the end of that maybe...wasn't on the proposal sheet, but had the "A" on the end on Trane's website), 4-ton, up to 14 seer.

Evaporator Coil: Trane model #4TXFH054, slab coil (couldn't find this on Trane's website). Does it have TXV?

Furnace/Air Handler: Trane XR80, model #TUD1C100A9481A (the "1A" at the end wasn't on the proposal sheet, but that was at the end on Trane's site). 80% efficiency. Four speed blower motor correct? Will this adjust speed on it's own (variable speed blower motor?)

I'm have my current 4-ton Lennox replaced. It worked good until recent leaks in indoor and outdoor coils...it now will not hold recent 4 lbs of refrigerant I had put in it by a tech. It was a builder install when house was new in 2004. That size seems real good because it cooled the house good and wasn't real humid inside. Not replacing duct work or refrigerant lines because tech said they looked good to reuse (after flushing line due to refrigerant switch to R-410A).

Thanks in advance for your opinion, and any answers to the above questions.

The Lennox system is only 4-4 1/2 years old? Why not fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by bateslabel View Post
    The Lennox system is only 4-4 1/2 years old? Why not fix it?
    Just decided to replace the whole system while we were at it because there wasn't that much difference in price in fixing it by replacing the outside and inside coils or adding in the furnace too.

Any time you have a 4-Ton system or larger, it is good practice to test every aspect of the duct system & airflow.

Improvements, if needed, can make a huge difference in performance.
    The Dallas area is relative dry, a summer design of 31% RH, so 400-cfm per-ton or more ought to work okay, unless it's oversized.

Click udarrell & check the linked page. - Darrell
    Last edited by udarrell; 07-16-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Dallas climate...

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I'd get a second opinion!

It's getting down to the last minute...we're getting the above system installed tomorrow. Any last suggestions for any changes/improvements? Anyone know the answers to the couple of questions I asked in post #1? Thanks again...I am definitely "ready to be cool" !

edit...one more thing...I have one air intake that is 20 x 36 x 1 and have a pleated air filter in it. When current ac is running, I noticed the air filter arches quite a bit up towards the duct work. Is the air filter supposed to bend upward like that, or is the air flow being restricted too much? The filter is one of the mid-MERV ones from true blue....I don't know the MERV number because I don't have the wrapper anymore, and it doesn't list it on the filter. Should I just use one of the cheap blue filters instead to allow more airflow? I was trying to filter the air a little better because we have 2 cats. Filter is new,,,1 week old.

No, the XR80 isn't variable speed (that would be the XV80).

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    No, the XR80 isn't variable speed (that would be the XV80).
    On the trane website for the XR80 is says single stage heating, but yet under the specifics for it it says 4 speed blower motor...I guess that's different than varible speed? Here's where it says it..under "Trane XR80 Specifics"....

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro.../XR80-Furnaces

What about my other questions that still have not been answered? Anyone with any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by readytobecool View Post
    On the trane website for the XR80 is says single stage heating, but yet under the specifics for it it says 4 speed blower motor...I guess that's different than varible speed? Here's where it says it..under "Trane XR80 Specifics"....

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro.../XR80-Furnaces

What about my other questions that still have not been answered? Anyone with any ideas?
    It will run at one of those 4 speeds, whichever is selected by the installer. A variable speed motor will also run at one speed (with the XV80, two speeds--one for each stage). The difference is the variable speed motor can adjust its RPM to maintain proper airflow if ductwork is slightly undersized or there is resistance (i.e., static pressure). A standard motor would just move less air.