Programmable ECM blower?

Will someone help me understand more what a programmable ECM motor is capable of doing?

I originally wanted a variable speed furnace, but I lost SEER value with 95% VS furnace and 15 SEER heat pump.

I have decided on Carriers Performance Boost 90 furnace that will give me 93% efficiency and the Performance 15 SEER heat pump.

My question is how much different is the programmable ECM motor versus the variable speed.

I understand the variable speed can operate and many different speeds, but what about the programmable ECM blower? How much programming can be done to make it more functional like a VS versus and single stage blower?

A true variable speed motor is an ECM motor. Not sure what you're asking here.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Single-stage electronically controlled, programmed ECM

http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...eboost90.shtml

The X13 or fixed speed high efficiency works like a standard blower motor. The dealer has a table showing the speeds available, usually 4 or 5, and the CFM they will deliver at each duct static pressure point. As duct static changes, such as filter getting dirty or vents close, airflow decreases. Just like a standard motor. But unlike a standard motor, it uses less electricity and can be told to do things like run 1/2 speed for constant fan or slow down for extra dehumidification.

Sometimes these units do get a hair more efficiency out of the cooling system or heat pump than comparable variable speed motors.

In Nordyne's gas furnace product line, the fixed speed high efficiency 2 stage models can be turned into variable speed with a simple board upgrade. I don't think other brands can do this yet.

So if I understand when programmed it might just have certain set points of speed and not just as many variances like the VS might have. Either way I should be more pleased with this motor versus the standard blower motor. As long as it provides a little more then on/off speeds.

Paired with the right stat will give you more option than a one speed blower. The ECM motor when the furnace and duct work is properly sized should use just about 40 watts of electricity to run which is pennies/day and as been mentioned when the damper is closed on a supply or the filter get dirtier the ecm blower motor will be able to tell itself to run at a higher RPM to give you the same air flow required for your system.

That the info I was wanted to hear. I thought it works that way but needed someone to verify it

The X13 is not variable. If the filter gets plugged or registers get shut, airflow goes DOWN. It will not ramp up to maintain airflow. Only variable speed controllers will do that. The X13 is an ECM.

The X-13 motor is a fixed torque high efficiency motor. It gives you higher efficiencies than PSC motors can. The X-13 uses from 70-90 watts of power, where a PSC uses about 270 watts. $$$ is being saved, but it is still fixed torque. Like Bald Loonie said, Nordyne has an ecm motor that can be used either fixed or variable by just changing a board. The only downfall of X-13 is you do not get the same benifits of dehomidification as you do with X-13 .
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

The brand Nordyne uses on the G7 furnaces has dehumidify on demand.

Yes, but it is not an X-13, those motors are ECM's made by anothe rmanufacturer. They are designed a little differently. I am quite familiar with both. The X-13 motors are only used in air-handlers and package units for Nordyne products. The VSHE and FSHE motors are used exclusively in their furnaces.......for now.
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

So I will only see fixed speeds from the Performance™ Boost 90 Gas Furnace

But it will be just more efficient then standard motor? Ans a little optimized to my setup versus a fixed rate of CFMs from the standard motor (non-ECM motor)

Any chance yo know how much the new board is?

On the Carrier, the furnace will operate like a standard motor furnace, just use lots less juice. I think there are some constant fan advantages and dehumidify functions that the PSC motors don't do.

Only the Nordyne brands G7 furnaces can upgrade from this type of technology to variable speed. They use a different brand of motor. Haven't seen Regal-Beloit motors do this. At least yet.