Thread: Filet Mignon

Filet Mignon

So I am going to try and cook some filet mignon this weekend. What is the best way to cook these? Are there any good rubs or anything?

don't screw them up with any crazy seasonings, A good dose of salt & pepper is all you need. Also, don't cook them past medium (medium is honestly a little too far)

Yea I like mine Medium Rare. I was told to rub some vegetable oil on them and some kosher salt and a lil black pepper..

wrap bacon around the sides and hold in place with a toothpick.

I cook em real hot, real fast, about 2 minutes per side. I like em bleeding though....im getting hungry now!

I agree with the posts. little seasoning and cook to 120-130 at most. Let rest 20 min. and serve. We garnish with steamed asparagus and water chestnuts along with garlic mashed and sourdough rolls
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jpb2 View Post
    I agree with the posts. little seasoning and cook to 120-130 at most. Let rest 20 min. and serve. We garnish with steamed asparagus and water chestnuts along with garlic mashed and sourdough rolls
    I agree with all above especially wrapping the filet in a bacon slice and keeping it in place with a toothpick

Course I like to add Garlic Butter to mine for the very last minute of cooking time and remember to let it rest for a couple of minutes and set it on a piece of dry toast and let that butter run off and down the sides of the filet and bacon into the toast

Here is a link for cooking times and let those steaks rest
    That redistributes the juices throughout the beef

http://howtocookasteak.com/forums/index.php?topic=9

Sound like some experienced eaters on here!

Three minutes per side does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by small change View Post
    I agree with all above especially wrapping the filet in a bacon slice and keeping it in place with a toothpick

Course I like to add Garlic Butter to mine for the very last minute of cooking time and remember to let it rest for a couple of minutes and set it on a piece of dry toast and let that butter run off and down the sides of the filet and bacon into the toast

Here is a link for cooking times and let those steaks rest
    That redistributes the juices throughout the beef

http://howtocookasteak.com/forums/index.php?topic=9

Great idea ! will modify it a bit and grill toast the sourdough rolls and let the steak rest there . Thanks
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Repeat after me: Less Is More

First; a filet is lean - so butter it before doing anything else. Butter and let them sit out. You want them going onto the grille close to room temp - NOT cold out of the refrigerator! You can cover them but left them sit out to warm up.

Fresh meat is 'flat' - so add more garlic salt (we don't have any other kind here - which reminds me of a funny story from when my kids were little <g>) more than you think it needs. And a nice bit of fresh ground black pepper too. Don't skimp.
    Do all sides.

Set your oven for 400 degrees.

Wait 15-20 more minutes with the steaks on the tray for the salt and pepper to work.

Get the grille Hot first. You want grille marks on the meat. Using a sacrificial piece of test-meat first to check the "hot" is within the rules. <g>

With a 1 1/2" to 2" filet cut do two minutes on a side. Then shift the meat 90 degrees - same side down. Two more minutes and flip it over. Two more minutes and shift it 90 degrees. It's important -set a timer.

That will give your the right grille marks and a good sear. Pull and let them rest for 5 minutes before letting anyone cut them. If you don't let meat rest - all the juice runs out.

If anybody's steak is too rare for them - stick it in the oven for 6 to 10 minutes to finish. If everybody's happy with their steak - turn the oven off.

Do not do more than this on the grille! Filets will burn on the grills before they are medium.
    Last edited by Poodle Head Mikey; 08-04-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Post required editing
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.