Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heating&Cooling Dilemma.

Hi All!

I am looking for a heating and cooling system. I have been reading online to try to learn as much as I can. The consensus view is installation is more important than brand name. Nevertheless, I'm going to go with a Carrier or a Trane for piece of mind.

I have contacted Sears and Home Depot. Sears send out the salesperson and he knows what he's talking about. I like his offer but haven't commit. I talked to a subcontractor from Home Depot (Bel-Air Heating Cooling) and he seemed like he knows what he's talking about too. However, I am uneasy at the moment because many posters recommend looking for a private contractor who knows what he's doing. I want to but don't know who to contact since I do not know anyone who knows a private contractor who will do a good job.

I live in Orange County, CA or Southern California and it would be great if someone can point me to the right direction. How is Bel-Air Heating Cooling? I tried to find reviews online but didn't find any. They are certified to install Trane, which I know require contractors to know what they are doing.

Thanks!

Ask friends who they used.

Just because they are a Trane dealer. Doesn't mean they know what they are doing.
    Don't let brand name propaganda fool you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNg View Post
    Hi All!

Nevertheless, I'm going to go with a Carrier or a Trane for piece of mind..

Your half way there. Ask some people you know for a recommendation. Thats the best way.
    You're only as good as your customer will allow you to be.........If they want junk, sell them junk, but make your junk look neat!!!

ask some neighbors, call the BBB and ask for several names, do you have any firends from work or family members to ask, they may know of contractors as well. Might be someone here who maybe able to help you out or know of someone in your area they can referr.

Thank you for your replies! But like I said in my post, I do not know anyone; I'm 25. My friends don't have houses. My parents don't have a house and do not know anyone who has installed a system.

Do you have neighbors?

Now is a good time to get to know them.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

co workers?, customers?, members of your church? if all else fails ask neighborhood businesses,most contractors do residential and light commercial work.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

There is a section on this site that contractors can put there co.name on. and somewhat advertize on a little.don`t remember how to get to it.or if there is one near you.not a lot of them do it.but it`s worth a look.

i would not let Sears through the front door I have seen some wall of shamers done by sears

Heating and Cooling Recommendations

I agree with the professionals. Try and get recommendations if you can. If you can't there are several websites that help you find contractors. Try angieslist.com. The premise is that people rate many different contractors. Obviously, no system is foolproof, but it has worked for me. By the way, Angies list is not free, but it helps you on researching some contractors. If you use this service, I'd try to get atleast 3 estimates and don't necessarily go with the lowest bid. Quite often, the contractors are linked to BBB on Angies list.

sears uses sub contractors

HVAC ears

I've been doing this 37 years, and I garrantee you there a lot lot of fly by night contractors out there. Hopefully the phase out if 22 to 410A will weed some of them out. Getting good references is very important!

Since you are 25, I just wanted to share a bit of advice with you that will serve you well in life.

Never EVER buy anything from Sears that requires professional installation.

That is all.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast