Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier 14 vs 15 SEER AC model numbers

I just had a Carrier Performance AC installed. The contract called for a 15 SEER unit, but the energy guide tag said it was 14.0 SEER. I emailed the contractor, he told me to check to verify that it was a model number 24APA548A003. I checked, and emailed back that it was not, it was a model 24APA548A310. The full product number is 24APA548A0031010, which is what it says on the energy guide tag.

His email reply was
    "Then it's a 15 SEER. Not every Btu size is exactly 15...that's why they normally say (up to 15 SEER)...so yours is probably 14.9 or something. So, it's the right unit."

This does not sound right to me, but I can't find information online about Carrier's model numbers to verify this. Can anyone tell me how to verify for sure what the SEER number is on a Carrier model 24APA548A310?

You need to know the model number of the outdoor unit, and the air handler, or furnace and evap coil.

Then you can check at the ARHI website. Or post those numbers here.
    And a guy by the name of Ryan Hughs might look it up for you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Sounds like the Performance 15 according to the Carrier site.

http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...formance.shtml

With the exception of 13 SEER.
    Not all sizes in a SEER line, get close to the SEER rating.
    Contractor locator map

Thanks beenthere,

The outdoor unit is has
    Model number: 24APA548A310.
    Product number: 24APA548A0031010

The indoor AC unit has
    Model number: CNPVP4821ATAABAA

This is on the floor, blowing into a 21" opening (ducts are in concrete slab). On top off that sits a Carrier 80% Performance 2-stage heater, which has
    Model number: 58CTA135_ _ _ 131116
    and elsewhere on the same label it says
    Model number: 58CTA135-16

I trust the contractor, but am puzzled that it says 14.0 SEER on the energy guide tag.

Quote Originally Posted by DanW13 View Post
    Sounds like the Performance 15 according to the Carrier site.

http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...formance.shtml
    Thanks DanW13, but I don't see anything on that page except that the performance series has models with up to 16.5 SEER. I don't see anything about 15 SEER or a Performance 15.

Quote Originally Posted by rjestep206 View Post
    I just had a Carrier Performance AC installed. The contract called for a 15 SEER unit, but the energy guide tag said it was 14.0 SEER. I emailed the contractor, he told me to check to verify that it was a model number 24APA548A003. I checked, and emailed back that it was not, it was a model 24APA548A310. The full product number is 24APA548A0031010, which is what it says on the energy guide tag.

His email reply was
    "Then it's a 15 SEER. Not every Btu size is exactly 15...that's why they normally say (up to 15 SEER)...so yours is probably 14.9 or something. So, it's the right unit."

This does not sound right to me, but I can't find information online about Carrier's model numbers to verify this. Can anyone tell me how to verify for sure what the SEER number is on a Carrier model 24APA548A310?
    This is an unacceptable answer from a professional. He should have explained the rating before the install

But he was either hiding that it was 13.5 or he does not know the difference
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you rponson,

Ouch. 13.5 SEER is barely legal. We wanted the most efficient AC unit we could get. He talked us out of the 21 SEER Infinity because he thought our ducts would not work with the furnace, and told us the highest SEER unit in the performance line was the 15 SEER unit that we contracted to get (although apparently they go up to 16.5 SEER).

Does anyone have advice on how to deal with this? We'd like him to put in a 15 SEER or better system, not a 13.5. We still have some leverage, because he hasn't billed us yet.

What does your contract say?

Does it say a 15 SEER system?
    Contractor locator map

I guess the next step would be determined by the contract you signed? If you signed a contract with those model numbers and not stated rating then you go what you bought. if you have a contract with a stated rating then you did'nt

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    What does your contract say?

Does it say a 15 SEER system?
    Yes. And it specifies model numbers that don't match the installed system. Quoting exactly:
    "Project to include the following:
    1. 1-Carrier 58CTA135-1-16, 135,000 Btu, 80% efficient (two-stage) furnace.
    2. 1-Carrier 24APA548A003, 48,000 Btu, (15 SEER) Puron condensing unit.
    3. 1-Carrier CNPVP4821ATA, 48,000 Btu Puron cased-n-coil.
    "
    plus 12 items on the installation process, including labor and materials for a complete installation. He mailed me the contract, I signed it and FAXed it back. So I don't have a copy that he signed.

You got what was quoted. Carrier gives a part number and a model number on the outdoor unit so that can be confusing, but you got the 24APA548, which is the Performance 15. "Up to" doesn't mean much, since without a furnace with a high efficiency ECM motor, it won't get much more than 14 SEER or so. If the contract specifically said 15 SEER system, as beenthere said, you were misled because that "15 SEER" unit doesn't actually achieve 15 with that furnace. It's still a good unit and acceptable to use however.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    You got what was quoted. Carrier gives a part number and a model number on the outdoor unit so that can be confusing, but you got the 24APA548, which is the Performance 15. "Up to" doesn't mean much, since without a furnace with a high efficiency ECM motor, it won't get much more than 14 SEER or so. If the contract specifically said 15 SEER system, as beenthere said, you were misled because that "15 SEER" unit doesn't actually achieve 15 with that furnace. It's still a good unit and acceptable to use however.
    Thank you Ryanhughes
    I am glad to hear that. I think this contractor doesn't understand SEER numbers any more than I do, but apparently he did install the correct model. So, you saved me from making a big scene about it.

While I have your attention: What do you think about his advice to stay away from the infinity line? Some houses in this area have collapsing ducts (called sonitude?), which he said would cause serious problems with the infinity furnace. But the duct cleaners said ours were metal, and in good shape. We have some buyers remorse that we didn't shop around to other brands like Trane to see what was available. It's too late to change our decision, but this question is going to bother us for the life of the system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast