Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starting a new job and very nervous

I am about to start my very first HVAC job. This is the start of a whole new career. I finished one year of school and still have one to go. The company I am going to work for hired me as an apprentice. They do commercial HVAC and Refrigeration as well as other work in restaurants. I am just wondering how bad does the commercial market slow down? I am very nervous about this job but excited at the same time. They said they are swamped with work and that they really needed someone but...people say anything to get you hired. How bad is the commercial market for work? Especially the St. Louis Area. Just wondering how commercial compares to residential. Questions questions.

Thanks from an HVAC newbie

OK I am jealous. Finding a job in this industry while still in school and in this economy? I graduated in April 2009 but have been looking while I was in school also. Check this post. What makes a good helper and or apprentice? It is under the gen discussion forum. I would try to put it as a link but have no clue on how to do it. Good luck at the new job

You are lucky to get a job in the field of commercial. I have been in it for 25 years, and have been through a few recessions. People are still going to eat no matter how bad it gets. So stop worrying and be glad you have a job, and welcome to the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001 View Post
    You are lucky to get a job in the field of commercial. I have been in it for 25 years, and have been through a few recessions. People are still going to eat no matter how bad it gets. So stop worrying and be glad you have a job, and welcome to the trade.
    Bottom line for us and we do strictly commercial is when times get tough people tend to fix their old units as opposed to replacing with new so there is more work in old crap than new equipment on the service side this is great on the new construction well not so much

Commercial is always steadier than residential. Not saying the company you are going to work for isn't going to slow down.

Biggest advice to you is, appreciate the opportunity you have been given and make the most of it.

Smile

Well, after reading these replies and searching through all these forums, I feel alot better about taking this position. I do realize how lcky I am to get this job especially with how the economy is. Ranken Tech here in St. Louis is always sending out job openings here in the St. Louis area and in Illinois. I am glad I chose to go there. Thanks for the replies everyone.

best of luck from a resi guy... I wouldnt mind going commercial!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by mustardman View Post
    Bottom line for us and we do strictly commercial is when times get tough people tend to fix their old units as opposed to replacing with new so there is more work in old crap than new equipment on the service side this is great on the new construction well not so much
    Well, working on that old crap will give meyer a lot of experience

dogged out rooftop equipment is the best learning experience trying to keep it going till the end of the season with a possible change out in the spring.don't be too surprised when you hear the lead tech complaining to the customer "how many more times do you want to repair this POS thing"....the customer pleads just get me thru this summer...enjoy it
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Sounds like this will be a good expirience for me. I really like this forum.

make sure you ask some questions and show some interest into what is going on

I plan to ask plenty of questions. I like to learn.

Congratulations on the job. Just out of curiousity, how did you find out about it? Did you know someone, or was it listed on a job board at school. It is very unusual for someone to get a job, especially in the commercial field, without any experience. Most of the jobs that I see advertised are asking for 5 to 10 years of experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast