+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Update of my job

Post Likes

Update of my job

This is an update from this thread:
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194312
    The job is starting to wrap up in the next month or so. I went in early (only "free" time I have on the job) and snapped some quick pics. Some are a little blurry though.
    It may help to look through the other thread first to see progress. There are MILES of fitter pipe on the job.

Click image for slideshow.

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

Post Likes
    What kinda place is that? Pharmaceuticals?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    What kinda place is that? Pharmaceuticals?
    Sure is. Lots of stainless steel and aluminum.

-supertek65

Post Likes
    It looks pretty impressive. Nice job. Those Patterson Kelly boilers?

Post Likes
    the units on the roof seemed crammed to one corner almost to close to one another. maybe just the angle of the photo.

Post Likes
    Looks like fine craftmanship to me. Is that Union Labor responsible for that?

Post Likes
    that job must have cost that company 9,459,687,000,003.00 yen!
    HVAC PRO IN THE MAKING
    i-Vu, CCN
    NATE's:
    Gas Heat Service/ Installation
    Air-to-Air Heat Pump Service/ Installation
    Air Conditioning Service/ Installation

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    the units on the roof seemed crammed to one corner almost to close to one another. maybe just the angle of the photo.
    No....they are pretty tight. The do comply with any clearance codes though. There are 3 more future prod. plants (reactor rooms) in the building that have yet to get build out. That means the possibility to add 8 more make-up air units and roughly 10-12 utility set fans.....with associated oxidizer duct and rupture vent pipes. Needless to say....there isn't going to be much roof space left untouched.

-supertek65

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by schomaker9253 View Post
    Looks like fine craftmanship to me. Is that Union Labor responsible for that?
    Our company (union) is responsible for all of the HVAC, process piping, hvac controls, plumbing, and sprinkler fitting work.... along with other misc. work all over the building.
    The sparkies are fairly large non-union contractor.....hence the 10' of seal-tight wrapped around all of the units on the roof.

-supertek65

Post Likes
    Very nice work. About how many sheetmetal hours on this job? The reason I ask is my younger brother (Local 36) is part of a 16,000 mh job for a pharmaceutical plant expansion.
    Last edited by DaveCR; 07-14-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typo

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    Those Patterson Kelly boilers?

Thermal Solutions for the 3 HVAC boilers.

-supertek65

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCR View Post
    Very nice work. About how many sheetmetal hours on this job? The reason I ask is my younger brother (Local 36) is part of a 16,000 mh job for a pharmaceutical plant expansion.
    I've had as many as 12 guys on the job and as little as 3-4 over a period of almost 10 months now. I really can't remember total man hours it was 'BID' for...I'll have to check tomorrow....lol. There have been hundreds of hours on extras that are above and beyond the base bid on the HVAC side. Process is in the thousands on extra work.
    Last edited by Lash; 07-15-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling...DOH!

-supertek65

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCR View Post

Total man hours for this project (for every trade that our company had on the job) is around 65,000 man hours right now. The job has over 150 separate job # listings for other things that we were contracted to do besides base bid work. Job will be complete in less than 1 year start to finish. For this type of building that time frame is generally unheard of.

-supertek65

Post Likes
    You ran this job, right, Lash? It looks like it could have been a multi-trade coordination nightmare. I can only imagine what the plans looked like... There were probably hundreds of pages with nothing but elevation details.

Anyways, it looks like it turned out pretty awesome. The best way to protect your work and reputation is by producing a job like that out of a pile of crap.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    You ran this job, right, Lash? It looks like it could have been a multi-trade coordination nightmare. I can only imagine what the plans looked like... There were probably hundreds of pages with nothing but elevation details.

Yeah...I ran it on the sheet metal side of things.
    The job was on such a tight timeline right from the get-go that our company didn't even have time to really even include any kind of elevations on the plans. We had to figure everything out between ourselves. We have 3D CAD capability, there was just no time to use it on this one.
    With that said, it actually went very smooth. It helps when a majority of the workforce on the job are people from the same company. It makes coordination a whole lot easier.
    The 'We work for the same company so lets figure out what is easiest' attitude can work wonders.

-supertek65

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in