Thread: New House... Old HVAC System (NEW GUY)

Post Likes

Red face New House... Old HVAC System (NEW GUY)

Hi, Ive been reading trough the forums for a while now. And Im liking the info Im reading. I just bought a home the was built in '84. Its around 1400 sqft (under air). And has the original (Ruud/Rheem ???) air handler. The condenser is only 8 yrs old. But it seems to be way to small for the home.

We live in S. Fla, and it ranges from 85-99 degree heat in the summers. The ac is running ALL DAY and can never get the house below 78 degrees.

I called a HVAC bud of mine to look overe the system, and give me his opinion. And basically he wants to replace both units, and upgrade us to a Payne 3 ton (15 SEER) condenser. The drip pipe is angled too high, so hes going to redo that as well. The price hes giving us is fair, but I cant use any of the rebates.

On the otherhand, his boss will come out and give us a qoute. But we will most likely be paying $ more up front then getting the rebates in return.

Sooooooooo, my question is... Do I go with my bud, and let him install the Payne units w/ no rebates? OR do I fork out the extra cash, and get a Carrier/Trane unit w/ rebates?

What are the rebates?
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-13-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Removed price

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    I'd good with the "real" company,and get the rebates,tax credit,etc..

Post Likes
    The unit may not nessesarily be undersized. It could just be mismatched, not charged correctly, dirty ilter, dirty coils, or have installation issues.

Don't assume you need a larger unit because a 8 y/o unit mismatched to a 25y/o airhandler is struggling to keep up. That could be a 25y/o coil in there that's rarely if even been cleaned.

Do you have large enough ductwork for a 3 ton unit? A 3 ton will flow 20% more air than a 2.5 Ton, and 50% more than a 2 ton.

It's easier to find matches that meet the rebates in the 2 and 2.5 ton sizes as well... without going with top of the line equipment.

Post Likes
    i went with a 3 ton trane XL20i w/the clean effects. it qualified for the $1500 tax credit and the $1k manufacturers rebate. not to mention the 10year parts and labor warranty...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boi View Post
    Hi, Ive been reading trough the forums for a while now. And Im liking the info Im reading. I just bought a home the was built in '84. Its around 1400 sqft (under air). And has the original (Ruud/Rheem ???) air handler. The condenser is only 8 yrs old. But it seems to be way to small for the home.

We live in S. Fla, and it ranges from 85-99 degree heat in the summers. The ac is running ALL DAY and can never get the house below 78 degrees.

I called a HVAC bud of mine to look overe the system, and give me his opinion. And basically he wants to replace both units, and upgrade us to a Payne 3 ton (15 SEER) condenser. The drip pipe is angled too high, so hes going to redo that as well. The price hes giving us is fair, but I cant use any of the rebates.

On the otherhand, his boss will come out and give us a qoute. But we will most likely be paying $ more up front then getting the rebates in return.

Sooooooooo, my question is... Do I go with my bud, and let him install the Payne units w/ no rebates? OR do I fork out the extra cash, and get a Carrier/Trane unit w/ rebates?

What are the rebates?
    I know Rheem has a 1200.00 rebate on the higher seer systems plus a 30% up to 1500.00 tax credit.But the installer has to be signed up with Rheem to offer the cash back rebate
    restoring comfort daily

Post Likes
    oh yeah by the way Rheem is a great system
    restoring comfort daily

Post Likes
    Do you know what Trane is offering for rebates?

Post Likes
    Well I guess I will have an update with you guys later this week. I called another HVAC company for an appt on Thursday...

Post Likes
    Got the qoute today... He's offering a Rheem 3 ton - 2 speed (18 SEER) system, new Rheem air handler, rebuild the stand, seam the return, add new returns in each bedroom. Its is quite a bit more up front. But with all the rebates, and even the tax credit. It comes out to be less, than having my bud do it.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Go for it,but if it's less ,your Bud is not your Bud!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in