+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The old dude's piping

Post Likes
    This is a job I piped to show the boys how it is done. Now if we could only get the electricans to learn how to run conduit we would have a nice looking job.

Post Likes

Talking

Nice job old dude. At least you can still get your pipe straight!

Post Likes
    You posted that in the wrong place.
    It dose not belong in the "Wall of Shame"
    Very nice job,
    Yuma,
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Post Likes

Thumbs up

I agree! Nice piping job. Too bad the electricians aren't up to snuff though. Shouldn't that be EMT(my bag, rigid, you're right piper) with weather-tight fittings instead of weather-tight flex, and with the same supports, (unistrut), like you have? Time to sub-out different electricians I'd say! With your quality, I bet you have sight-glasses right before the TEV's too.

[Edited by jdhall on 07-26-2003 at 01:56 AM]

Post Likes
    Looks good! The roof staying in the units in the back ground?

What was done to help from the crushing next winter!?

On the first units, where was the line set running before? Couldn't use the same set?

Post Likes

Benn

Nice piping job of course. Try to teach the electricians to pick-up their trash too.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mayguy
    Looks good! The roof staying in the units in the back ground?

What was done to help from the crushing next winter!?

On the first units, where was the line set running before? Couldn't use the same set?
    Really. I just noticed that was the same job as the beer cans in the other thread. Or is that just job security

Post Likes
    Isn`t that the same place where the snow crushed the units last winter?

Nice work. I started putting the filters inside a few years back.

Post Likes
    don't you hate it when you make your piping look that good and the electrician does that!

Post Likes

Electricians

Yea, there the ones that say, "Shorted to Ground"

Like saying, bring me a glass of wet water.

Post Likes
    Nice looking job BUT...it looks like you used soft solder? Say it isn't so

Post Likes
    If he used staybright soft, you can`t do any better.

Post Likes
    JW Harris he is the man. James is right it is Staybrite. There was a good reason for using this low temperature silver. Since this was a replacement system the existing lines had oil in them.

So even thought we tried to wipe out the oil the best we could I didn't want to take the chance of igniting the oil. This would have created more contaimination than it was worth.

I would always use Silfos for discharge lines. But Staybrite is perfectly acceptable for refrigeration lines. Read the specifications for it. It should not be confused with 50/50 or 95/5. When I was a kid we put in whole supermarkets using this stuff.

Post Likes

Benncools post reflects how experience and time in trade can sometimes collide with what is taught in trade and tech schools. I`ll take experience every time.

Post Likes
    Well since electricians were bashed, I must chime in. Is it code? Definitley. Is it pretty? Naw. Emt is NOT an outdoor product so, no, it should NOT have been used. Even with compression fittings it's still a no no. PVC would have done the job probably faster and easier but, let's face it, after one summer it would have looked exactly the same as the flex. I seriously doubt any electrician would have done any other way except for maybe running low as not to ruin the view. Rigid would have been your next option but not very cost effective. In any case, nice piping job.

Post Likes
    Nice piping Bencool

But I trust there is allowable airflow clearance between the units.

The picture is probably making the units look jammed close to each other than they probably are.

Servicepro

Post Likes

Servicepro

This was the orginal post of the condensing units after they got hit with snow off the roof. Check out the roofs over the self contained packaged units in the back. Believe it or not the constant breeze off the mountain keeps the air from short cycling.

This is the "after" shot. Actually the only think that got destroyed was the condensers but the insurance pay for new units.

[Edited by benncool on 07-25-2003 at 03:06 PM]

Post Likes

Ben

WoW!! Did they get crunched!!

Keep up the good work!

Servicepro

Post Likes
    I see you pushed on the armaflex- makes for a neater looking job. I can't tell from the pix if the suction lines are sloped, but I assume they are. It looks like you cut the armaflex and solidly clamped the suction line to the strut? Most guys will put a clamp over the outside of the insulation which I disagree with. I want the tubing solid to the unistrut with a cush a clamp. Nice looking job. Maybe next time, lengthen the strut and tell the elctricians to use it, They don't, they do it over on their nickel. Last summer I put in 2 new Bally freezer units on a 20 x 20 walk in. I had two nice 3 foot high stands made to put the CU's on. [keep the grass out of the condenser coils and for working hieght; don't have to lay on the ground to work on them] Electrician drilled several holes right thru one leg of the stand to run his conduit even though I had extra unistrut from my pipe supports in place for him.

Post Likes
    Oh yeah. Put up a piece of unistrut and the electician thinks you put it up out of the kindness of your heart just for his use. Generally he'll run his conduit right down the middle if you don't guard your hanger.

This goes for roofs too. "The "refer-guy" put the hole and pitch box in the roof just for me. Just to show my graditude I'll drill my disconnect to this this fin thingy.
    I wonder what that hissing is? No problem it stop hissing."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in