Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Excessive moisture outside air-handle

I just got installed the new Trane XL16i 4 tons about 6 days ago. Following are the problems that I am having:

1. Excessive moisture outside air-handle
    2. constant cooling cycle even already change option 220 and 230 from the thermostast TCONT900AC43UA
    3. The dealer update system from 3 ton to 4 ton without do air balancing
    4. The vent direct hit the thermostat made the system shutdown fast

The most concern is why too much moisture developing outside the air-handle?

Does anyone have experience on Trane 4TEE3C07A1000A (air handle), 4TTX6 (outside unit), and TCONT900AC43UA (thermostat)?

How do I measure the CFM at the register? The dealer said it should be right but the register was designed for 2.5 tons when the house had not modified.

There are 4 settings for Airflow Performance on air-handler (290 CFM, 350 CFM, 400 CFM, and 450 CFM). The current setting is 400 CFM for 4 tons. If change it to 350 CFM is it means the system will run as 3.5 tons and 290 CFM is 2.9 tons. Will the cycle is going to be longer if decreasing the CFM?

Thank you,
    Last edited by uname2000; 07-10-2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: More questions

If anything, you need to increase the airflow to reduce the temperature drop across the coil and reduce condensation on the unit. However, it seems you have a lot of issues with your system and need to get the contractor back to sort them out.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Some sweatng is sometimes unavoidable here in Florida.

Excessive sweating can be caused by air leaks at the air handler,or low cfms.

Chances are the air handler cannot deliver the set cfms, due to high static of the undersized duct system.

In Florida most duct systems are too small for the original size system,increase the size and problems start.Sweatng is the lest of the problems.

where is your unit located ?
    attic, crawlspace, or in a closet in conidtioned space?
    if it is in closet can you see into the attic at the top of the closet?
    the best way imo to measure air flow is with a flow hood.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

More condensate when increased the CFM

I am not talking about the moisuture. It is excessive water. The water is dripping down all around the air handler. If you push you hand on the duct on top the air handler the water will start to pour down. My old system did not do this for the last 10 years until it die. The dealer already increase the CFM to the MAX. You can see the bubble come out of the duct when system is running in full speed. I don't believe Trane is making system that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by uname2000 View Post
    I am not talking about the moisuture. It is excessive water. The water is dripping down all around the air handler. If you push you hand on the duct on top the air handler the water will start to pour down. My old system did not do this for the last 10 years until it die. The dealer already increase the CFM to the MAX. You can see the bubble come out of the duct when system is running in full speed. I don't believe Trane is making system that bad.
    Condensate is supposed to run off the evaporator coil into the
    condensate pan and into the drain. It sounds like something
    is preventing the condensate from properly flowing off the
    evaporator. On old systems, it can be excessive dirt, like pet
    hair. Perhaps somebody innocently messed up the install,
    left something in there? If possible, open it up and take a look.

Confused Excessive water around air handler

Check the drain and nothing is blocking. The system located in the garage. It is still running alot of water. If the system is pushing out 1600 CFM (4 tons X 400 CFM) and the registers only be able to push out 520 CFM, then all the rest will not able to delivery outside of the air handler. Would this will creating a lot moisture around the air handler? How do you calculate CFM delivering of all registers inside the house? I have four 4 inch registers and three 5 inch registers? What is the average CFM for 4 inch and 5 inch register?

Get your contractor back out there to fix it.

Just giving us the size of the return air grilles will not allow us to calculate the total airflow for the system, but I can guarantee you your ductwork is capable of more than 520 CFM.

Take a few pictures we may be able to help you more.

Detail information attached

Registers and Vents size
    Place Register’s diameter Vent Length Vent Width Design Airflow CFM (???)
    Kitchen 5 12 8 50
    Living 6 14 10 75
    Family 6 14 10 75
    Master’s bed 6 14 10 75
    Master’s bath 6 14 10 75
    Master’s closet 4 10 6 50
    Bedroom #1 4 12 8 50
    Hallway’s bath 4 10 6 50
    Bedroom #2 6 12 8 75
    Attached Images Attached Images        

more pictures

Let me know if you need additional information
    Attached Images Attached Images        

The air flow may be blowing water off the coil and not allowing the condensate to drain properly. Ducts need to be sized correctly. How about some duct measurements?

Quote Originally Posted by uname2000 View Post
    Registers and Vents size
    Place Register’s diameter Vent Length Vent Width Design Airflow CFM (???)
    Kitchen 5 12 8 50
    Living 6 14 10 75
    Family 6 14 10 75
    Master’s bed 6 14 10 75
    Master’s bath 6 14 10 75
    Master’s closet 4 10 6 50
    Bedroom #1 4 12 8 50
    Hallway’s bath 4 10 6 50
    Bedroom #2 6 12 8 75

If that all the vents you have??? Just adding the CFM, you only get to 650. A 4 ton sytem at 400CFM/ton is designed for flow 1600CFM. But the maximum airflow those vents can handle is much higher without being too noisy.

Arethose supply vents??? Or returns? Or both. Some unusual dimensions for supplies in residential.

Why was the previous 3 ton unit replaced with a 4 ton???

Assuming the main trunk is sized adequately and you have enough return... a 4" duct can handle around 60CFM, a 5" 90CFM and a 6" about 150CFM. So with that in mind, the most airflow your supply branches can handle is about 1020... or as you mentioned, abotu 2.5 Tons of airflow. Even with that, you'll have some noisy vents. So shoving 1600CFM throught there is not adviseable. I'd guess the static is so high, it's unliekly the unit is even reaching 1600CFM. SO that might also be why you're getting so much condensation.

I wouldn't be suprised is a load calculation says you only need a 2.5 ton system... so a 3 ton 2 stage unit might have been OK.

Have the contractor come back and first fix the drain issue at minimum.

Beyond that...well good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast