Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

YCIV Level sensor problems

Is it just the machines that I have in my area or does anyone else have this problem. I have one machine that is on its third level sensor. I started up 2 machines just before spring and 2 out of 3 on each one eventually had to be replaced. If they are having this kind of problem everywhere then why dont they set up some way to calibrate them instead of sealing them up. Or even better have a offset adjustment available on the board. This is ridiculous and a real pain in the rear. I have 1 at another sight that will require cutting a hole under the pole assy to get it out if it ever goes south. Some input please. Let me know that I am not alone.

You are not alone.

there all bad but the new ones are better danfoss has changed there calibration procedure. if you order a new one that was made after june of this year it will be a lot more accurate but it needs some type of adjustment like on the the yk's etc. and there is a way to change the setpoint of the flash tank it takes a special pass word but it is not a permanent fix any power blip and the setpoint goes back to default of 35%

One of the major differences between the YCIV & the YCAV is that they have relocated all the refigeration componants to the front end of the unit to sound reduction compartments , there use to be everything spread out throughout the back end of the unit along side off the Chiller bundle and space was limited. It was hard enough to work on it before know its even worse , fix one problem create another wait till they get the bill for warrenty service.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Quote Originally Posted by york56 View Post
    One of the major differences between the YCIV & the YCAV is that they have relocated all the refigeration componants to the front end of the unit to sound reduction compartments , there use to be everything spread out throughout the back end of the unit along side off the Chiller bundle and space was limited. It was hard enough to work on it before know its even worse , fix one problem create another wait till they get the bill for warrenty service.
    You're right, but even worse is wait until the customer gets the bill for out-of-warranty service. York always tried to be on the cutting edge of technology, and because of that, they've never owned the market share that Trane has. Trane has problems of their own, but by and large, they have found something that works and tweaked to make it better. York has a history of making wholesale changes when there's no good reason. Think of the customer cost for repair of the drive in a YCAV or IV out of warranty. jci service will charge more for the pole assembly than the chiller costs. York needed to have gotten the compressor issues corrected on the YCAS's and left the XL and Y-Delta starters alone.

Quote Originally Posted by deno77 View Post
    there all bad but the new ones are better danfoss has changed there calibration procedure. if you order a new one that was made after june of this year it will be a lot more accurate but it needs some type of adjustment like on the the yk's etc. and there is a way to change the setpoint of the flash tank it takes a special pass word but it is not a permanent fix any power blip and the setpoint goes back to default of 35%
    What calibration procedure. Eveyone that I have spoke with in PA says that all you can do is replace. However there is a few tricks to speed up the refrigerant transfer. I had 1 machine that had a sensor fail. I had it going in 1 hour. You just have to be real fast with the hot gas isolation valve and the oil line.I agree about the adjustment like on the yt and yk's. Just make a longer probe. Most of the time it is the electronics and not the probe so that would make any repair very cost effective.I have never had great luck with danfoss. Back in 04 I had a long run of failed exv's. It was stupid to take a txv and put a "heat motor" on it. Use a stepper motor and life will be so much better. enough of my ranting!

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    You're right, but even worse is wait until the customer gets the bill for out-of-warranty service. York always tried to be on the cutting edge of technology, and because of that, they've never owned the market share that Trane has. Trane has problems of their own, but by and large, they have found something that works and tweaked to make it better. York has a history of making wholesale changes when there's no good reason. Think of the customer cost for repair of the drive in a YCAV or IV out of warranty. jci service will charge more for the pole assembly than the chiller costs. York needed to have gotten the compressor issues corrected on the YCAS's and left the XL and Y-Delta starters alone.
    Your right about that pole assembly it don't come cheap and JCI does wack them hard for it I have already changed it.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Danfoss was calibrating them in water not the refrigerant they are measuring from what i have heard the different densities of the two is where the problem lied.all of the ones i have changed lately are much better but only 2 out of 10 were dead on with 35% being the middle of the site class but they have definately gotten better. this has stopped the low suction pressure trips that we all were experiencing

Quote Originally Posted by york56 View Post
    Your right about that pole assembly it don't come cheap and JCI does wack them hard for it I have already changed it.
    rumor has it that there are going to be some big changes on the pole assy. Can't go into details but the cost should go down some. And the eff. will go up.

Cool

the sensors dont really care about density. They do care about the dielectric constant. as the liquid covers the sensor the capacitance increases. Thats how they work. I think what is taking then out is the teflon is absorbing the oil and changing the characteristics. I did have 1 that failed from an apparent cold solder joint. It worked great until the temperature changed on the head and then it went wacko. The level swinged randomly and it was not even running. No brainer there.

Quote Originally Posted by yorktek37 View Post
    rumor has it that there are going to be some big changes on the pole assy. Can't go into details but the cost should go down some. And the eff. will go up.
    Biggest change they could make that would be helpful would be to sell York back to York...................................

that about summs that up. you are right!

Can level sensor issues be also due to lack of refrigerant and not sensor even tho your reviving the alarms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast