Thread: buzz noise?

buzz noise?

Hi all,
    I have a kenmore soft sound 1000 central air condition unit and it makes a terrible buzz noise every 5 seconds or so, we do not feel any cold air in the house either. The noise is coming from the fan area (condenser/compressor?) on the unit outside.
    any ideas as to what this noise might be?

thanks in advance

Turn off the power to the outside unit (breaker). Sounds like the compressor is trying to start up and it can't. Call a pro to fix it, but be sure to turn the power off to the unit now so the compressor can cool off before the pro shows up.

?

its weird.....it happened a year ago too.....a friend changed the capacitor and it still made the noise......1 week after he changed it I turned it on for the heck of it and it worked!....it worked fine for the past year and used it all week a couple of weeks ago during heatwave and it worked fine...just today when I went to turn it on the dreaded noise was back and its not cooling again....everything else is working fine air is blowing in the house but it's not cool and the buzz noise occurs every 20 seconds or so.....I'm thinking its a wiring issue somewhere to be honest just because it did it last year and then poof magically it worked again....maybe a booster for my capacitor is needed???

Have you turned the breaker off to the outside unit, yet? I suggest doing so right away if you have not already.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

ac

yes I turned off power at the unit today but its always on anyways...like I said 2 weeks ago used it 1 week straight day and night no problems and I wouldn't have know it was not working until I turned it on today....any ideas on what specifically could be my problem...remember very intermittent happened a year ago and did not happen again until today

Quote Originally Posted by gasser65 View Post
    Turn off the power to the outside unit (breaker). Sounds like the compressor is trying to start up and it can't. Call a pro to fix it, but be sure to turn the power off to the unit now so the compressor can cool off before the pro shows up.
    One of my neighbors is in for an expensive surprisse.

Working outside monday and tuesday and kept hearing a 2 second HUM about every 5 - 10 minutes.

Between the lake and the hill you I could not even pinpoint the direct that it came from. Call the owner of one vacant house have them check it.

mine has done that a couple of times. If you hear the outside unit humming but the fan isn't turning, switch off the breaker that is next to the unit and call the HVAC repair guy. Not sure what all will happen if it's left on, but you can bet it won't make the repair any cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by MELackey View Post
    Not sure what all will happen if it's left on...
    It will cause a rift in the time-space continuum that will ultimately destroy the universe!

Or...just the compressor, anyway.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.