Thread: Buying a used 10 SEER uncharged condenser?

Post Likes

Buying a used 10 SEER uncharged condenser?

Some one is trying to sell me his outdoor condenser unit, it is 10 SEER 4Ton used unit. When it was disconnected people just cut the line-set and all the R-22 were gone. the compressor still run. He is selling it very cheap $. I would like to know if I hire someone to reconnect it and recharge it. would that still be good for couple years?
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-11-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Removed price

Post Likes
    Sounds like a gamble to me. Why did he get rid of it. Had to have a reason. What type of unit do you have ? Install could be expensive for a used unit that may not work in the first place? You could probably get into a new unit installed for $ or so explore your options. Talk to your local HVAC companies the thing with used is some guys dont want to install them because if it doesnt work who would want to pay for the labour and materials.Its not just the outdoor unit you need a coil a new line set etc
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-11-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Removed price

Post Likes
    The condenser was disconnected from a demolished commercial building. It is a gamble. I have the 10 SEER indoor coil and line set, my outdoor condenser compressor is having some problem, when in the very hot days, it either freeze up the line set or get over heated and shut off it self. I am hoping replacing the condenser will fix the problem. is it more expensive to install the used unit? would that be a problem since the unit just sit in the warehouse for over a year and with on freon in it?

Post Likes
    The big problem is if it sat with the lines not sealed then the oil in the system has been exposed to moisture all this time. I would pass on it. In my area most contractors will not install a used unit. If they do they will usually charge enough to make up the profit they would have made had you purchased one from them.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advice, I think I am going to pass on this one.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticbreeze View Post
    The big problem is if it sat with the lines not sealed then the oil in the system has been exposed to moisture all this time. I would pass on it. In my area most contractors will not install a used unit. If they do they will usually charge enough to make up the profit they would have made had you purchased one from them.
    Hey Marc,good to see you on here again.

How long has it been 2 or 3 years now?

Hope your doing well!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ouneal View Post
    The condenser was disconnected from a demolished commercial building. It is a gamble. I have the 10 SEER indoor coil and line set, my outdoor condenser compressor is having some problem, when in the very hot days, it either freeze up the line set or get over heated and shut off it self. I am hoping replacing the condenser will fix the problem. is it more expensive to install the used unit? would that be a problem since the unit just sit in the warehouse for over a year and with on freon in it?
    Have you had anybody out to evaluate why it's doing what it's doing? Maybe the fix isn't the condenser but something else such as a low on freon or dirty coil.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    I would spend a little of that money on a hvac tech to come check your system. Sounds like the problem could be on the other end. Be a shame to go thru all that and it be caused by a leaking or dirty inside coil.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Hey Marc,good to see you on here again.

How long has it been 2 or 3 years now?

Hope your doing well!
    Hey Dave thanks,

I have been doing well, what a learning experience. It has been about 2 years and I am still above water. I hope all is well with you.

Post Likes
    Don't do it

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticbreeze View Post
    Hey Dave thanks,

I have been doing well, what a learning experience. It has been about 2 years and I am still above water. I hope all is well with you.
    After the collapse of RNC work,thought we might have serious issues,however last year and this year we are now doing well,glad to here you are too.

Post Likes
    that condensor is scrap

Post Likes
    If it's freezing up, that tells me something about the compressor.
    Have your existing checked out. Should be an easy repair.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in