Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do YOU do?

All correct.

A good technician would locate and correct those problems before showing the customer a graph of case performance.

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    Ditto Ive had a I/C case with a nice graph at -10 only to find evap was iced up.
    soooo whats your point? I have ran into the same situation and ofcourse i had enough common sense to verify that the case reported as warm was warm by walking up to the case itself.

This thread is about finding the case at temp, verifying that all is right, and proving to the customer that the case is fine.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

Quote Originally Posted by refer guy View Post
    soooo whats your point? I have ran into the same situation and ofcourse i had enough common sense to verify that the case reported as warm was warm by walking up to the case itself.

This thread is about finding the case at temp, verifying that all is right, and proving to the customer that the case is fine.
    The point is most techs do not have any common sense and are lazy and will not check the case.I have seen techs call up the store after hrs on the lap to
    and tell store case is OK. And Ya I know what the thread is about.But this was brought up and should be discussed.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

oops
    Last edited by klove; 02-13-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: 'Cause you can't delete an errant post. Why can't you delete an errant post?

i just fake it till i can maybe hopefully one day make it
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    The point is most techs do not have any common sense and are lazy and will not check the case.I have seen techs call up the store after hrs on the lap to
    and tell store case is OK. And Ya I know what the thread is about.But this was brought up and should be discussed.
    Sadly, cracker is right.

Too many techs are too lazy to even put gauges on a system, let alone pull into it and check for proper fan operation, iced up coils, proper superheat.

Just had a callback on one of my guys about a month ago. He called me, asked me what to check. Superheat and subcooling. DUH!

2 hours later, the same place called back with the same problem. I went there and found the system, an AC system running R-22, running a 13" Hg suction pressure.

There ain't no fixing that kind of lazy.

I have started taking all callbacks for my area of responsibility and have put the guys on notice. We will pay you to fix it. ONCE.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Sadly, cracker is right.

Too many techs are too lazy to even put gauges on a system, let alone pull into it and check for proper fan operation, iced up coils, proper superheat.
    This is exactly right. I ran a large contracting company for several years and the biggest problem that I had with my service department was the fact that when they received a call from a store in the middle of the night they would dial the store up and if they didn't see a problem they would force the system into a defrost and go back to bed. Energy management systems can be one of the best tools that we have but it can also be our worst enemy when we get false readings.

It quickly became a requirement of mine that if an emergency call came in my techs were required to go out regardless of what the EMS system was telling them. After all, the customer wouldn't be calling in the first place if they didn't have a concern, and it's their dime to get you there.

Sometime we need reminded that the best tools we have are the meters in our trucks and the two tools we have on the end of our wrist. Be smarte then then the computer, it's only doing what we tell it to do and read what we tell it to read.

Okay, i'll get off my soapbox now.

I will confess to using the EMS system.

Normally, I dial up and have the customer on my cell telling them what I see and what I think is going on.

Always best to err on the side of caution, though. Thousands of dollars worth of product aren't worth going back to bed.

Some of these guys are too lazy to download the FREE software for the EMS systems and use it.

I would always use it to get an idea of the problem before I headed out to the store. But I always went to the store regardless, even if I forced the system into a defrost then verified that the coil was clear once I was onsite.

I have some thoughts -

A substantial part of the mechanic's job is making the customer feel comfortable. Both in reality AND in perception. Management bears the responsibility of making sure that the mechanic knows this, knows how to do it, and does do it. Customers have problems and it is our chosen mission to resolve them. This includes both reassurance and inspiring confidence.

This is not a business of machines - it is a business of people. Don't you get lost in thinking otherwise, and don't let your men forget it.

The finest tool we have is between your ears and the ears of your men. Don't let them get rusted in place for lack of use.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Exactly.

I'm looking for the case in defrost type BS calls trying to weed them out. I do this for the all the techs in my area before I dispatch them.

Otherwise, I have the store look for ice as we aren't supposed to be responsible for decing cases per our contract.

No ice, no defrost, somebody is going if the store approves paying OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    A substantial part of the mechanic's job is making the customer feel comfortable. Both in reality AND in perception. Management bears the responsibility of making sure that the mechanic knows this, knows how to do it, and does do it. Customers have problems and it is our chosen mission to resolve them. This includes both reassurance and inspiring confidence.

This is not a business of machines - it is a business of people. Don't you get lost in thinking otherwise, and don't let your men forget it.

The finest tool we have is between your ears and the ears of your men. Don't let them get rusted in place for lack of use.
    I have to say that I get caught up in the type of thinking that you describe.

I get stuck in the machine and neglect the customer relation part of my job sometimes.

Am working hard at improving my customer relation skills, but I've never been a natural with people.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Exactly.

I'm looking for the case in defrost type BS calls trying to weed them out. I do this for the all the techs in my area before I dispatch them.

Otherwise, I have the store look for ice as we aren't supposed to be responsible for decing cases per our contract.

No ice, no defrost, somebody is going if the store approves paying OT.
    Wow you lucky sob.we have to go deice the case as per contract.Evean if the case is dirty and the drain is plugged with price tag's ect.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast