Thread: Replacement ?

Replacement ?

Hello,

I have a 26 year old 2 ton system in a 1300 square foot house, I am now having to replace the unit and the tech is telling me that i need to upgrade to a 2.5 or 3 ton and relocate to the attic due to size of closet. I am not sure if I want to upgrade size and then move to attic and the cost for labor and material is so much more or replace with same size that fits in closet. what should I do? Thanks

Get more estimates from other companies.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by robhill3rd View Post
    Hello,

I have a 26 year old 2 ton system in a 1300 square foot house, I am now having to replace the unit and the tech is telling me that i need to upgrade to a 2.5 or 3 ton and relocate to the attic due to size of closet. I am not sure if I want to upgrade size and then move to attic and the cost for labor and material is so much more or replace with same size that fits in closet. what should I do? Thanks

Get a second, third and maybe even a fourth quote. Throw out any quotes that are based on guessing vs. detailed load calculations.

Hello,

The same tonage size may not fit the closet.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Hello,

If you have lived there through all seasons,you would know if the system is too small,you would have suffered thru it.

If it is too small ,look at adding insulation,tinting windows,etc.,to reduce the size needed.

Hello,

I would not upgrade just becuase he says so. You need a Heat Gain Heat Loss calculation and then you will know if you need a bigger system. Newer air handlers are probably bigger than the one you have now. Maybe you need to relocate the unit. Have more quotes and make sure that they are referred by some you know or check them out with the BBB to see if they have any complains.
    Good Luck!

contrary to popular belief a over sized system is not a upgrade less comfort more energy