Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ready For Winter

I was sent on call on this lovely Voyager. A Co-Worker said he split and cleaned the coils on this unit in May. I think he meant May of 81
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I love it when you come across that stuff. I went out on a job last summer where I changed a compressor and fan motor on a Trane that had 2 compressors in it. Well once I changed it all out, I test ran the unit and the head was just through the roof like over 325 if memory serves me correct. My boss was standing there when I was checking it out and I turned to him and said I bet the fan went first because little to no air flow through the coil, then the compressor went be cause of no air flow, and I bet if we split this coil its going to be 100% plugged. He told me that there was no way that it was a split coil. I told him with 2 compressors, it may be a 3 split. I don't remember the tonage. So I started to split it and it was worse than this one you have a pictured here. I could literaly peal like a 1/4 inch of cotton wood off the coil. Every time I see a picture like this it reminds me of that story. I still give him crap about it some times.

Thats just wrong. I hate being told that it was checked and it you find it

wasn't. I always check all the bases on any service call.
    Waddya mean don't thaw out the frig with a knive?

That's clean! Shoulda seen the 4 Rheems I cleaned Wednesday. 1/2 - 3/4" of cottonwood on the coil. Took the cabinets completely off 3 of them. And they were cleaned a month ago too!!! BAN COTTONWOODS!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    BAN COTTONWOODS!

**** i say lets have more of them around. If all conditions and equipment was perfect, we would be out of work.. This guy just got a few hours pay for driving there and cleaning a coil, sounds like an easy paycheck to me.

is there an easy wat to clean the Trane coils?

i remember about 20 years ago my boss and I were working on a unit for the pro shop of a golf course, the unit as i recall was an old carrier ham can,and was blowing on hi press release. He told the owners they needed a new evap and went off to get one, meanwhile i split the coils on the condenser and cleaned, when he returned it was 74 in the pro shop and i was running
    72/260, damned if i was gonna change an evap in an attic in houston at 3pm in august lol

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    is there an easy wat to clean the Trane coils?
    Yep. The first post shows you how.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

What do you guys mean when you say "split" the coil?

Quote Originally Posted by FrostGiant View Post
    on the picture posted you can see on the very far left side that there is the end of a coil, along with the one near the center. they are sandwiched together when the unit is all put together. you have to split the coils apart (seperate them) to clean inbetween the 2 layers.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostGiant View Post
    Not to be a jerk, but did you look at the picture that was posted?

It illustrates a split coil just about perfectly.

Yeah, I see it now, sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by J_SIN View Post
    on the picture posted you can see on the very far left side that there is the end of a coil, along with the one near the center. they are sandwiched together when the unit is all put together. you have to split the coils apart (seperate them) to clean inbetween the 2 layers.
    Thanks for the information, J SIN...I don't see these very often and was kind of curious myself.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast