Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you think of the Goodman GSZ130361 Heat Pump?

How does this compare with, say, entry-level units from Heil or Rheem? Deos anyone have any experience with this unit? This would go in with a Goodman CAUF3642C6 uncased coil, or the equivalent Goodman cased coil.

Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    How does this compare with, say, entry-level units from Heil or Rheem? Deos anyone have any experience with this unit? This would go in with a Goodman CAUF3642C6 uncased coil, or the equivalent Goodman cased coil.
    Some performance numbers for you:

GSZ13036 matched with CAUF3642C6 is AHRI# 3422761.
    35,000 btu cooling, 11 EER, 13 SEER, 34,000 btu at 47F, 20,000 btu at 17F, 7.8 HSPF.

That HSPF is very week.

The 14 SEER R410A SSZ14036 has better performance#s: 12 EER, 14 SEER, 9 HSPF, but requires a larger indoor coil. The SSZ also has a lifetime compressor warranty, part only, to the original homeowner.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Some performance numbers for you:

GSZ13036 matched with CAUF3642C6 is AHRI# 3422761.
    35,000 btu cooling, 11 EER, 13 SEER, 34,000 btu at 47F, 20,000 btu at 17F, 7.8 HSPF.

That HSPF is very week.

The 14 SEER R410A SSZ14036 has better performance#s: 12 EER, 14 SEER, 9 HSPF, but requires a larger indoor coil. The SSZ also has a lifetime compressor warranty, part only, to the original homeowner.

Good luck.
    Ah, I see that. The SSZ140361 uses their 4-5t coil while the GSZ130361 uses their 3-3.5t coil.

Funny, when I look at the specs for the comparable Rheem 13 SEER, 3 ton RPNL026JAZ HP unit, it can only be paired with their 2.5-3 ton RCFLHM3621ACcoil, and they don't have a 3-3.5 ton coil. Seems strange to me, though the RPNL HP seems to have a decent HSPF even with the 2.5-3 ton coil. I thought the conventional wisdom was that to get the best performance you had to upsize the coil by 1/2 ton or so.

As a home owner who experience trouble with a GSZ unit that went out. But was replaced with a SSZ unit, I found out that besides the great savings in power usage the SSZ unit was a lot smoother running and produced considerbly less noise.
    Also I will attest to Goodmans warranty and good faith they exibited in replacing my unit. They have a group of Field service people that really know what thier doing. When my service company threw up their hands Goodmans field tech came out and found their unit to be at fault. No problem or argument. Just replace the unit and take care of the customer. That is when I decided to upgrade to the SSZ. He expained the same thing gary_g is telling you.
    Good luck with your purchase.

I'm thinking that with the extra cost of the SSZ14, I might as well go with something else like the Rheem RPNL-036JAZ with the RCFL-HM3621AC coil. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by garya505; 07-09-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: SSX14 not SSZ16 !

The RPNL is a nice unit. Demand defrost eliminates hundreds of unnecessary defrosts each winter in a cold climate. High & low pressure switch tied to a 3-strikes lockout board with diagnostics. There's more to efficiency than a big coil. The RPNL isn't that big but still does a good job, a bit restrictive though. The RPNL has a TXV in the outside unit plus a charge compensator, that could be why it doesn't need a huge indoor coil like some.

The older cubes were a nightmare. No problems so far with the few 13PJAs we've sold. Haven't sold any PJLs. We stay with the rectangular models for pumps.

I see the Goodman SSZ has a lifetime warranty on the compressor, which is better than the 10-year on the Rheem RPNL. But then again, the SSZ requires that big honkin' indoor coil, which is much larger than the Rheem coil. I wonder how that will affect the airflow of the furnace blower, and the overall performance of the furnace (2nd stage heat).

Can you explain this? I figured since the Goodman CAPF4860C6 was a 4-5 ton coil, it would be physically larger and therefore the pressure drop would be greater than the Rheem RCFL-HM3621AC 3 ton coil. But looking at the specs, it's just the opposite. AT 1200CFM, wet, the CAPF coil has a drop of 0.191 while the RCFL coil has a drop of 0.310. What's up with that? These are both in a 21 inch case.

I see the Goodman SSZ has a lifetime warranty on the compressor, which is better than the 10-year on the Rheem RPNL. But then again, the SSZ requires that big honkin' indoor coil, which is much larger than the Rheem coil. I wonder how that will affect the airflow of the furnace blower, and the overall performance of the furnace (2nd stage heat).
    That may be a problem if he is not replacing the air handler with a VS . But the two paired together are a perfect match. I dont know about the electric rates in NM, but in Texas and with my unit. I calculate the power usage for a payback in about 3-4 years. So far compared to my old 8 seer unit and the heat wave we are having this year the payback could be shorter.
    I do like the command defrost that Rheem is offering as I noticed with mine having a timer set at 60 min. it is spinning the wheels when we have mid 40 degree weather. But again the heat pump. But even with that fact I am still heating at a much lower cost.
    He should look into the rebate stimulas and take 1500.00 in tax rebate. I think that is a good deal and really shortens the payback time. The cost of energy is going to keep esculating IMHO because all the people that are putting in these units the power companys and fuel suppliers are going to come up short . Guess who they will pass it on to ! You may want to take that into consideration when getting quotes on your new unit.

Well I found another post referring to the RCFL as a very restrictive coil. I wonder if this is a problem. Rheem only lists RCFL coils for the RPNL036JAZ.

Leaning back towards Goodman

Now I'm leaning back towards Goodman. I just don't like the pressure drop numbers on the Rheem RCFL-HM3621AC coil. Why should I take a chance that this might cause a performance problem when I don't have to?

So, this would be either of these two:
    GSZ130361 with CAPF3642C6 (13 SEER)
    -or-
    SSZ140361 with CAPF4860C6 (14 SEER)

I suspect the extra cost of the 14 SEER combo would be recovered in a few years. The HSPF is higher on the SSZ too. And, has has been noted, the lifetime warranty on the SSZ compressor is nice.

the rheem coil being smaller doesn't mean it won't cool or heat.

the smaller coil will have more latent heat removal(lower humidity)

the larger gooooman coils are one of the few ways they can acquire high eff. units.

dont buy a unit based solely on the "warranty", buy based on the "reputation" of the installing contractor.

be careful of those warranties....they are there for a reason....so you can expect problems.
    You're only as good as your customer will allow you to be.........If they want junk, sell them junk, but make your junk look neat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by superd77 View Post
    the rheem coil being smaller doesn't mean it won't cool or heat.

the smaller coil will have more latent heat removal(lower humidity)

the larger gooooman coils are one of the few ways they can acquire high eff. units.

dont buy a unit based solely on the "warranty", buy based on the "reputation" of the installing contractor.

be careful of those warranties....they are there for a reason....so you can expect problems.
    Thanks for the tips on warranties.

The Rheem actually has better cooling/heating specs, especially for heating. My concern is over the unusually high airflow pressure drop for the Rheem coil. It's been noted somewhere in this forum that this coil is very restrictive. I'm not using a VS blower, but why should I take a chance that this pressure drop might be a problem, when I have other, safer choices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast