Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

ethics

Its really an ethical question. If your on a spring or fall inspection, when do you recomend replacement as a preventive mait. Reason? Do you go by the lable or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    Whenever it says "GE" on the label
    Is "Dayton" french for "GE"?
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Ethics?? That's a new one!!

Can't recall reading about regular capacitor testing/replacement as part of a standard PM checklist

I guess you can go by the label. If the label is covered with crap and/or burnt off then replace the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by shanessi View Post
    Its really an ethical question. If your on a spring or fall inspection, when do you recomend replacement as a preventive mait. Reason? Do you go by the lable or something else?
    I do what I think is right. I sure as heck don't want a callback a week later because a something happenend you just checked it and now it doesn't work. It's always on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night too, when you have plans. But I don't want a customer thinking I'm trying to gouge them either, with the it works, lets see what happens tune. You just have to know your customer. I always warn them of consequences to their action or inaction and tell them it will be another service call charge for me to come out and fix what I told you might happen.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Kickstart has a capacitor amps/volts comparison chart (size of a business card) to determine if your capacitor has the right capacitance. If in doubt this card is pretty handy.

I cant believe someone else had this question, lol. I was recently checking a capacitor, and was wondering the same thing.

Then you'll need to apply for pro membership also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Regarding Swampfox's post:

I had to smile when Swampfox replied to replace a capacitor whenever it says "GE". Years ago, I repaired everything from transmitters, to consumer products at the component level. Back in the day, it was cost effective to find the defective component on a circuit board rather than replace the board. As a rule of thumb, we would tend to clip out and solder in new electrolytic decoupling capacitors used in GE consumer products before any in depth diagnostics. By example: GE,would place a 15mfd @ 6.8wvdc in a circuit because the working voltage at that design point would be 6.8 volts (including a 10% voltage safety margin). In most cases, a higher working voltage, lets say, 15 mfd. @ 12 volts would have never failed. In the above example, using a higher working voltage would have a dramatically lower failure rated as a result of the higher dielectric insulation. Some companys do this as a cost saving measure. A higher working voltage capacitor would be more expensive. Not really a big cost, but when you use billions of components a year, the costs add up quickly.

To this day, I always replace start and run caps with the reasonably highest working voltage available, and not necessarily the line voltage at that point.

Sorry to have hi-jacked the thread! Now I'll turn it back over to the DIY's and/or moderators.

Toddfather
    Never argue with an idiot: They'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

Quote Originally Posted by toddfather View Post
    Regarding Swampfox's post:

I had to smile when Swampfox replied to replace a capacitor whenever it says "GE". Years ago, I repaired everything from transmitters, to consumer products at the component level. Back in the day, it was cost effective to find the defective component on a circuit board rather than replace the board. As a rule of thumb, we would tend to clip out and solder in new electrolytic decoupling capacitors used in GE consumer products before any in depth diagnostics. By example: GE,would place a 15mfd @ 6.8wvdc in a circuit because the working voltage at that design point would be 6.8 volts (including a 10% voltage safety margin). In most cases, a higher working voltage, lets say, 15 mfd. @ 12 volts would have never failed. In the above example, using a higher working voltage would have a dramatically lower failure rated as a result of the higher dielectric insulation. Some companys do this as a cost saving measure. A higher working voltage capacitor would be more expensive. Not really a big cost, but when you use billions of components a year, the costs add up quickly.

To this day, I always replace start and run caps with the reasonably highest working voltage available, and not necessarily the line voltage at that point.

Sorry to have hi-jacked the thread! Now I'll turn it back over to the DIY's and/or moderators.

Toddfather
    I agree, just notice how many blown ones you find that are 370 vac instead of 440 vac. I don't stock the normal caps in anything except the higher voltage.

I change them when the display on the tstat says "check capacitors" Usually comes on after 13 "check filters" displays. Or some of them have an expiration date on them like batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by shanessi View Post
    So when the range of the capacitor says plus or minus 6%, should it be replaced if it is out of that range. for example if it is a 10uf cap and it is reading 9.1 on your meter, should you replace that capacitor?
    are you getting paid by the hour
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by cbowma4 View Post
    I cant believe someone else had this question, lol. I was recently checking a capacitor, and was wondering the same thing.
    lmfao

i cannot believe it either
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

???

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast