Help: XL15i Back order

I ordered an XL15i Heat Pump, in which I have been waiting on for two weeks now and it is still on back order.
    I currently have a Rheem Oil Furnace.
    I am getting the XL15i HP, Trane Cleaneffects, Aprilaire Humidifer, and TStat 802

Since the XL15i is on backorder, what do you all think about me going with an XL16i HP.
    I know the 15 is a single stage and the 16 is a dual stage. What I was thinking is that the 16 will run in the lower stage and in the instance my Rheem (5 years old) goes out I will already be ahead of the game by having a dual stage condenser and I can put in a variable speed furnace.
    Does this make sense?
    With the 16i running in the 1st stage all the time, is that the same as the 15i single stage?
    Also how do you all feel about the Trane TSTAT 802 with the XL15i setup and if I were to go with the 16i setup?

With a correctly sized XL15i, and a 803 Thermostat and the correct wiring to a VS furnace, the XL15i can perform as well as the XL16i.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    With a correctly sized XL15i, and a 803 Thermostat and the correct wiring to a VS furnace, the XL15i can perform as well as the XL16i.
    1. What is the difference between the 802 and 803 tstat, or should I ask why would it perform better with the XL15i HP?
    2. As I don't know when the XL15i will be available for me would going with the XL16i be a good option to run in single stage?

Thanks for your input.

The 803 can control dehumidification by controlling a whole house dehumidifier or by slowing the VS blower on a VS furnace. the 802 cannot.

The XL16i in 2nd stage may actually be less efficent that the XL15i in some conditions. There may also be a compromise where you can use one fan speed for both stages. There is only a 25-30% difference in capacity ofrm 1st to 2nd stage. About 1000-1050 CFM would be a good comprimise airflow for example with a 3 ton XL16i.

I think it your case, going with a XR14 might be a better option. It has almost the same efficiency as the XL15i... and can take advantage of a VS blower for better efficiency in the future.

I'd only consider a XL16i IMO, if you can get it at the same price or less than the XL15i.

SOme por's may have varying opinions. I'm still jsut a informed HO.

The 803 can only dehumidify by overcooling. The Vision Pro IAQ, not through Trane, can control a variable speed blower for extra dehumidification and control a humidifier eliminating the need for a separate control. Of course if you are keeping the Rheem oil furnace, the slowing of the blower doesn't apply.

The 16i being 2 stage is not a good candidate for a standard blower either.

The 15i is a better pump for heating. Better outputs, the 16i is particularly weak meaning more backup and cooler air.

You won't get 15/16 SEER with the standard blower. Dropping to the XR14 would save bucks and end up with similar SEER. It is a bit better at heating than the 16i but not as good as the 15i.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The 803 can only dehumidify by overcooling. The Vision Pro IAQ, not through Trane, can control a variable speed blower for extra dehumidification and control a humidifier eliminating the need for a separate control. Of course if you are keeping the Rheem oil furnace, the slowing of the blower doesn't apply.

The 16i being 2 stage is not a good candidate for a standard blower either.

The 15i is a better pump for heating. Better outputs, the 16i is particularly weak meaning more backup and cooler air.

You won't get 15/16 SEER with the standard blower. Dropping to the XR14 would save bucks and end up with similar SEER. It is a bit better at heating than the 16i but not as good as the 15i.
    Thanks for all the input I guess I will just wait for the XL15i to be available.