Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasIsHot View Post
    My "residential" 7 ton system (both ac and heating) is newly replaced about 2.5 years ago with Ruud units. The outside unit (condensor) is 7 ton that is matched with two (2) 3.5 ton inside units. The line iced up all the way to the outside condenser recently. Called in my ac guy who said all is well except that there are leak(s) in the outside condensor copper lines. We saw oil-like patches and spills near the base and close to the compressor... Any how, he offered 3 options and I need to know which is the best fix (assuming he is right about the leak being the cause):
    1. Use a "No Leak" chemical to seal the leak
    2. Finding and soldering the leak(s) in the condenser]
    3. replace the whole condenser unit

It is 3 weeks without the AC, and AC huy just kept on delaying the fix...

Thank you so much for any input!
    How on earth, can you be without A/C ,in Houston Texas for the last three weeks?!!! That's totally unacceptable in this record breaking heat.

Might be an excellent opportunity to get another contractor.

What kind of excuses are you getting? Well, that's not good enough.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!

We do it all the time,

Quote Originally Posted by fenian View Post
    "The outside unit (condensor) is 7 ton that is matched with two (2) 3.5 ton inside units..."

am i missing something here? one condensor and two evaps?

regarding the leak, i'd want them to find it a little better than just pointing to what might be oil. shouldn't take more than a moment with a sniffer if there's really oil patches in the coil.
    How about one condenser and 4 evaporators? No other contractors thought of this option, but it worked like a charm. The customer lived in a converted barn, they didn't need to zone the place as they occupied the entire space continuously. They did not want to see trunk lines running across the space, so four blowers each with one supply and one return grill did the trick.

Any referals for my location?

My patient is about to run out with the AC contractor. But, he WAS the only contractor who DARED to replace the 7 ton system that came with the old house. The old units in the attic was HUGE as it looked like a small locomotive. I was getting estimates 2.5 years ago, and no one else even wanted to do the job. So for better or worse, he kind of earned my respect for completing the job in an innovative configuration (7 ton outside matched with 3.5 ton x 2 for the inside).

But, that respect is eroding quickly due to his recent recommendations and SLOW response time. I am only trying to stick with him because I am having a little trouble getting repair estimates with the system set up. Everyone I talk to on the phone is telling me that a 7 ton is NOT possible for a residential set-up, much less matching it to 2 evaporator coils inside. But, that is the system that he installed.

Not sure who to use or trust for the repair estimate. But will have to find someone who knows this type of set-up.

Am staying with my mother for the moment. Was painting the house interior before the planned move-in of July 1. Suddenly, the line iced up 3 weeks ago and we could not bear the heat to finish the paint job. Am hoping to find some one experienced enough and reasonable enough for an estimate and repair.

Have to get this fixed before my mother says the word.....

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Sure.
    i've never seen that around here. that's on one control?

Quote Originally Posted by fenian View Post
    i've never seen that around here. that's on one control?
    Yes. Read Attic Aces post.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasIsHot View Post
    Any referals for my location?

My patient is about to run out with the AC contractor. But, he WAS the only contractor who DARED to replace the 7 ton system that came with the old house. The old units in the attic was HUGE as it looked like a small locomotive. I was getting estimates 2.5 years ago, and no one else even wanted to do the job. So for better or worse, he kind of earned my respect for completing the job in an innovative configuration (7 ton outside matched with 3.5 ton x 2 for the inside).

But, that respect is eroding quickly due to his recent recommendations and SLOW response time. I am only trying to stick with him because I am having a little trouble getting repair estimates with the system set up. Everyone I talk to on the phone is telling me that a 7 ton is NOT possible for a residential set-up, much less matching it to 2 evaporator coils inside. But, that is the system that he installed.

Not sure who to use or trust for the repair estimate. But will have to find someone who knows this type of set-up.

Am staying with my mother for the moment. Was painting the house interior before the planned move-in of July 1. Suddenly, the line iced up 3 weeks ago and we could not bear the heat to finish the paint job. Am hoping to find some one experienced enough and reasonable enough for an estimate and repair.

Have to get this fixed before my mother says the word.....
    You most likely have a 7 1/2 ton unit. So, that tells me it's a good sized home.

I'm booked solid for the next week. There's a few other contractors from Houston here. Mr. Bill sells Rheem/Rudd he maybe could help. What part of town are you in?

FIND OUT IF IT'S UNDER WARRANTY!

Chances are it could be a quick fix. If you can see oil then it's a pretty apparent leak and shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Find out if it has epr 's installed on it.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Find out if it has epr 's installed on it.
    I give. What's epr's?

Thumbs up This is so true

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    P.S. What you describe could also be a leaky schrader valves at the service ports that the installer forgot to put caps on. Quite common and relatively low cost to repair.
    Many leaks I find are schrader valve related and are easily fixable. The customer always like it when you say "I found a leak.....but its not gonna cost you much to repair." I like happy customers, they are the ones that will call you next time. If I find a leak at theses I have a tool from grainger that lets me put in new valve cores without freon recovery AND I put new brass seal caps on.

Not sealers, please. Have it repaired properly. If the leak is in the condenser coil and easily accessible without removing to much fin material, have it brazed. Other wise, since the unit is so new, replacing the condenser coil would be a reasonable option. 7 / 7.5 ton is larger than any residential split style systems I have encountered. Double check the warranty but due to it's size, it may well be considered commercial equipment which would most likely have a shorter warranty.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    I give. What's epr's?
    EPR = Evaporator Pressure Regulator

Since there are more than one evaporators for only one condenser, an EPR is used to make sure each evaporator has the proper pressure. Used a lot in refrigeration.

Quote Originally Posted by zrox View Post
    EPR = Evaporator Pressure Regulator

Since there are more than one evaporators for only one condenser, an EPR is used to make sure each evaporator has the proper pressure. Used a lot in refrigeration.
    Thank You.
    I don't think that's the case here though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast