Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best fix for condenser unit leak?

Post Likes

What is the best fix for condenser unit leak?

My "residential" 7 ton system (both ac and heating) is newly replaced about 2.5 years ago with Ruud units. The outside unit (condensor) is 7 ton that is matched with two (2) 3.5 ton inside units. The line iced up all the way to the outside condenser recently. Called in my ac guy who said all is well except that there are leak(s) in the outside condensor copper lines. We saw oil-like patches and spills near the base and close to the compressor... Any how, he offered 3 options and I need to know which is the best fix (assuming he is right about the leak being the cause):
    1. Use a "No Leak" chemical to seal the leak
    2. Finding and soldering the leak(s) in the condenser]
    3. replace the whole condenser unit

It is 3 weeks without the AC, and AC huy just kept on delaying the fix...

Thank you so much for any input!

Post Likes
    Keep the leak sealer as far away from your unit as possible. Solder the copper lines ? Did he mean braze because I wouldn't use solder.

Post Likes
    NO CHEMICALS, NONE.
    The condenser coil could be under warranty. It's worth looking into.
    That's if I'm understanding this post.

Post Likes
    the unit should be under warranty. If the leak is at the condenser, try to look for it and maybe it could be repaired. if you use "NO leak" chem. it will void the manufacturer's warranty. Have a leak search done to know where the leak is.

Post Likes
    I do not not know the difference between braze or solder. But, AC contractor used the word "solder" perhaps just to inform me of the nature of the repair process.

AC guy says Rudd's warranty is ONLY 1 year for the condenser, 5 year for the compressor..... So NO warranty here.

So, does solder/braze USUALLY fix the "leak" in condenser permanently?

Thanks.

Post Likes
    I agree, don't use leak sealer. I've tried it on about 10 units this season and have been called back on all but 2. I don't use the stuff any more, invested in a better leak detector Lol. I think there should be an option 4- wty covers condensor except maybe labor. I would ask the tech about the wty, check your paperwork or even the Ruud web site. Most Rheem and Ruud have 5 year wtys and some have 10 on compressor.

Post Likes
    Fire the hack and hire a pro because the correct answer is "none of the above".

Don't use leak sealer concoctions, don't use solder and no need to replace the condensor. (why would he even recommend replacing the condensor if the leaks are in the "outside" copper lines??)

The correct method is to recover the remaining refrigerant, pinpoint the leak, fix/braze the leak using silphos or a silver alloy based brazing rod under a flow of nitrogen, replace filter drier, leak test the unit, evacuate, recharge and start writing out the bill.

Post Likes
    "The outside unit (condensor) is 7 ton that is matched with two (2) 3.5 ton inside units..."

am i missing something here? one condensor and two evaps?

regarding the leak, i'd want them to find it a little better than just pointing to what might be oil. shouldn't take more than a moment with a sniffer if there's really oil patches in the coil.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasIsHot View Post

AC guy says Rudd's warranty is ONLY 1 year for the condenser, 5 year for the compressor..... So NO warranty here.

Thanks.
    Just to keep honest people honest, double check on the warranty. What could it hurt?

I guess, if the condenser is considered a commercial unit, it could be a one year warranty.
    Last edited by the dangling wrangler; 07-09-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fenian View Post
    "The outside unit (condensor) is 7 ton that is matched with two (2) 3.5 ton inside units..."

Sure.

Post Likes
    Finding the leak "brazing" it and test with nitrogen is the best option in my opinion once it holds pressure recharge and good for quit a few more years. Do you have animails ? If so posibly fence the area as dog urine is very bad for the condenser. A new condenser could be very costly and leak chemical(never)

Post Likes
    agreed...double check on warranty then see about brazing the leaks

Post Likes
    there are leak(s) in the outside condensor copper lines. We saw oil-like patches and spills near the base and close to the compressor...
    P.S. What you describe could also be a leaky schrader valves at the service ports that the installer forgot to put caps on. Quite common and relatively low cost to repair.

Post Likes
    My "residential" 7 ton system (both ac and heating) is newly replaced about 2.5 years ago with Ruud units. The outside unit (condensor) is 7 ton that is matched with two (2) 3.5 ton inside units. The line iced up all the way to the outside condenser recently. Called in my ac guy who said all is well except that there are leak(s) in the outside condensor copper lines. We saw oil-like patches and spills near the base and close to the compressor... Any how, he offered 3 options and I need to know which is the best fix (assuming he is right about the leak being the cause):
    1. Use a "No Leak" chemical to seal the leak
    2. Finding and soldering the leak(s) in the condenser]
    3. replace the whole condenser unit

It is 3 weeks without the AC, and AC huy just kept on delaying the fix...

Thank you so much for any input!
    How on earth, can you be without A/C ,in Houston Texas for the last three weeks?!!! That's totally unacceptable in this record breaking heat.

Might be an excellent opportunity to get another contractor.

What kind of excuses are you getting? Well, that's not good enough.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Post Likes

We do it all the time,

regarding the leak, i'd want them to find it a little better than just pointing to what might be oil. shouldn't take more than a moment with a sniffer if there's really oil patches in the coil.
    How about one condenser and 4 evaporators? No other contractors thought of this option, but it worked like a charm. The customer lived in a converted barn, they didn't need to zone the place as they occupied the entire space continuously. They did not want to see trunk lines running across the space, so four blowers each with one supply and one return grill did the trick.

Post Likes
    Any referals for my location?

My patient is about to run out with the AC contractor. But, he WAS the only contractor who DARED to replace the 7 ton system that came with the old house. The old units in the attic was HUGE as it looked like a small locomotive. I was getting estimates 2.5 years ago, and no one else even wanted to do the job. So for better or worse, he kind of earned my respect for completing the job in an innovative configuration (7 ton outside matched with 3.5 ton x 2 for the inside).

But, that respect is eroding quickly due to his recent recommendations and SLOW response time. I am only trying to stick with him because I am having a little trouble getting repair estimates with the system set up. Everyone I talk to on the phone is telling me that a 7 ton is NOT possible for a residential set-up, much less matching it to 2 evaporator coils inside. But, that is the system that he installed.

Not sure who to use or trust for the repair estimate. But will have to find someone who knows this type of set-up.

Am staying with my mother for the moment. Was painting the house interior before the planned move-in of July 1. Suddenly, the line iced up 3 weeks ago and we could not bear the heat to finish the paint job. Am hoping to find some one experienced enough and reasonable enough for an estimate and repair.

Have to get this fixed before my mother says the word.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Sure.
    i've never seen that around here. that's on one control?

Post Likes
    i've never seen that around here. that's on one control?
    Yes. Read Attic Aces post.

Post Likes
    Any referals for my location?

My patient is about to run out with the AC contractor. But, he WAS the only contractor who DARED to replace the 7 ton system that came with the old house. The old units in the attic was HUGE as it looked like a small locomotive. I was getting estimates 2.5 years ago, and no one else even wanted to do the job. So for better or worse, he kind of earned my respect for completing the job in an innovative configuration (7 ton outside matched with 3.5 ton x 2 for the inside).

But, that respect is eroding quickly due to his recent recommendations and SLOW response time. I am only trying to stick with him because I am having a little trouble getting repair estimates with the system set up. Everyone I talk to on the phone is telling me that a 7 ton is NOT possible for a residential set-up, much less matching it to 2 evaporator coils inside. But, that is the system that he installed.

Not sure who to use or trust for the repair estimate. But will have to find someone who knows this type of set-up.

Am staying with my mother for the moment. Was painting the house interior before the planned move-in of July 1. Suddenly, the line iced up 3 weeks ago and we could not bear the heat to finish the paint job. Am hoping to find some one experienced enough and reasonable enough for an estimate and repair.

Have to get this fixed before my mother says the word.....
    You most likely have a 7 1/2 ton unit. So, that tells me it's a good sized home.

I'm booked solid for the next week. There's a few other contractors from Houston here. Mr. Bill sells Rheem/Rudd he maybe could help. What part of town are you in?

Post Likes
    FIND OUT IF IT'S UNDER WARRANTY!

Chances are it could be a quick fix. If you can see oil then it's a pretty apparent leak and shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in