Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No offense to the OP but sometimes there is a question that seems so obvious that I cannot even understand how it is a question.

If you don't want to fight with management you can simply use shaygetz's idea and pay yourself back the time. That is only legitimate if you are honest about it and are not already making unproductive stops at Vic's.
    Be aware that the boss will not agree. I know this because he wants 30 min unpaid work from you every day.

As for answering the company phone on your time, that goes both ways. Do you answer personal calls while working? I see people talking on the phone about their own business all the time, and smoking cigarettes when they should be working. You wouldn't believe what goes on in offices between the personal calls and computer time abuse.
    If you don't make calls on the boss's time, you don't have to answer phones on your own time. Or pay yourself back with a cigarette break. It all goes around if people are honest.

And Obama has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinCorr View Post
    And Obama has nothing to do with it.
    Where he leads we will follow.............Just like it was Bush's fault, Clintons fault, Reagans fault and so on.

We are talking about employer-employee relations, legal and ethical period.

I feel very lucky to work for a company that does not micromanage my working hours, what I am paid for, and what I am not. For all intents and purposes, whatever goes on my timesheet is what I am paid for.

As far as picking up materials, gassing up the van, bringing it in for service; this is all company business. The only person who will decide when I work without compensation is me.

I keep my phone on as a courtesy to my coworkers and customers. Unless I'm on call, it is not required of me after working hours. Therefore, I wouldn't ask to be paid for something I am not required to do to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    I feel very lucky to work for a company that does not micromanage my working hours, what I am paid for, and what I am not. For all intents and purposes, whatever goes on my timesheet is what I am paid for.

As far as picking up materials, gassing up the van, bringing it in for service; this is all company business. The only person who will decide when I work without compensation is me.

I keep my phone on as a courtesy to my coworkers and customers. Unless I'm on call, it is not required of me after working hours. Therefore, I wouldn't ask to be paid for something I am not required to do to begin with.
    Do you have to be so logical? How about saying something that we can argue with?
    GO DAWGS!

Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post

Exactly

If you do residential and your shop charges lets say 90 bucks for the service call and diagnostic, then you are suposed to be paid for driving to that first job , most companies are just plain crooks they do not want to pay you in the morning for driving to that first job but yes they are charging the customer the 90 bucks regardless, just for you to show up and diagnose what's wrong with the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by swinginutters View Post
    My company always says we should be at our first call at 8:00, which means we usually get to the shop by 7:30 or so get our filters, all the work orders for the day. Pick up any special order parts and extra info we may need regaurding that job, turn in our paper work from the day before. refill our nitro tanks, co2 bottles, change out empty refrigerant bottles.

We start getting paid at 8:00, but they want us to get all that done and get to our first call by 8:00 than we are on the clock.

This is the only company I've worked for, Is this the way it is with other companys, or is something wrong with this picture?

Do you guys get paid for all I listed above?

When I question things like this where it looks like simply "we are working for free", I am told to be thankful you have a job.

Don't get me wrong, I am thankful to have a steady job right now but Are we getting takin advantage of just because the economy is bad.

Any thoughts would be apreciated, or if I do need to be put in my place, thats why I'm asking.
    I've had the pleasure of working at a few union shops that operated like this.

I know of a union plumbing shop that does the same thing. Come in 1/2 hour before "start time" to get the truck loaded up.

Is it illegal? Yes.

Does it violate the "union contract"? Yes. Someone is working for free.

When I mentioned it to the union hall, nothing was done. I got laid off. Coincidence? That is how the problem was fixed.

Now, if it works like that in a union environment, I suppose things won't be much different on the other side.

You can justify it any way you want by taking long lunches, long breaks or whatever else you feel is "right", but that is illegal, too. What will you tell the boss? Something like "You were screwing me for 1/2 an hour every day, so I did the same"? Yeah, right. Stop for a minute and say it out loud.

Choose your battles and keep your options open.

If I was you, I would keep my head down and look for something else.

If you want to go out with a bang, document the unpaid hours and file a complaint with the DoL. Then, figure on moving with all the back wages and OT you'll get because you will be blackballed.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Or get a haircut,pay some bills,take a 2 hr lunch..............

so your the guy thats been following me !
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The National Labor Relations Board ,when called in will strighten the clock-in time,for the past 3 years,could be costly for the company.

So your boss will not give you 1/2 hour pay for driving to your first job = $10 bucks if you make $20 an hr but gladly gives his wife a $50,000 scalade ,buys himself a $100.000 boat while you come up short $50 in your paycheck in a five days week.... thats $2500 a year stolen from you, enough for the boss to take a yearly vacation.

just stop being a sucka, and standup for yourself. companies are replaceable.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

i start whenever the first call is...between 8 and 10. i don't go to meetings, get gas, or stock parts for the van unless i'm getting paid. sometimes i'll wash the wash van on my own time but the weather has to be exceptional and the van; really, really dirty.
    when life throws me a banjo, i play it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast