Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 28

Thread: R-410A LEAK

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19

    R-410A LEAK

    My contractor installed a rheem modulating furnance with a goodman compressor. He also used a goodman A coil. The year after the system was low on refrigerant and he evacuated and charged it up. This year there was no r-410a in the system at all. He charged the system to 100 pounds to try to find the leak. He used soapy bubbles to try to find the leak everywhere including the connections at the a coil. Tomorrow he will be coming back with an electronic leak detector. Any suggestions to find the leak. I do not feel like getting another contractor. Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    33,934
    As long as he brings a detector capable of R410a, he should find it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19
    will all r22 detecors work and could the a coil or compressor be leaking internally? It is only two years old and covered under warrantee.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    17,950
    For leak detection, I rely on a charge of dry nitrogen, and I listen at all points with an ultrasonic leak detector, and I confirm the exact location with a soap-like substance made for the purpose.

    Then, I repair the leak, charge again with dry nitrogen to confirm the repair, evacuate the system to a deep vacuum, and charge with refrigerant.

    In the case of your situation, whatever method he has found to be reliable is fine. Electronic detectors that react to the presence of refrigerant molecules are fine, but I prefer the noise a leak makes under pressure for faster detection.

    I'm confident he will find the leak.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    12
    Do you live in a climate where you have cold (below freezing) temperatures in the winter? There is a component on recent Goodman condensers/heatpumps that is known to leak under certain conditions, making it very difficult track down. You may want to inquire if your contractor is aware of the service bulletin about this issue (SC-009). If you have the serial number from the outdoor unit I may be able to tell you if it's affected by this.

    Benjamin

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,938
    Anyone who has to come back with a leak detector would concern me. I couldn't imagine doing my job without one in tow. Whats he borrowing one? To be good with them you should be using them regularly IMO.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NC Coast
    Posts
    2,604
    Only 100 pounds? If you use nitrogen to 300 or even 325 psi... you will know if you have a leak... and MOST of the time... you will hear it!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

    Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    7,414
    99 times out of 100, 100 psi will find your leak.
    Heck most times when I'm leak checking a system like that I stop and 30 or 50 and give it a quick once over, and typically I find it too.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    17,950
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    Anyone who has to come back with a leak detector would concern me. I couldn't imagine doing my job without one in tow. Whats he borrowing one? To be good with them you should be using them regularly IMO.
    For all we know, his usual detector has failed, and he needs to borrow a temporary unit. Let's not hang the guy without a trial...
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    newton,mass.
    Posts
    6,109
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    For all we know, his usual detector has failed, and he needs to borrow a temporary unit. Let's not hang the guy without a trial...
    That happened to me a few weeks ago, for some reason my Dtek stopped working half way through checking a system. I found the leak with bubbles, then when I got to the shop I took it apart, put it back together and it worked fine...

    .
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

    "Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    newton,mass.
    Posts
    6,109
    Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    99 times out of 100, 100 psi will find your leak.
    Heck most times when I'm leak checking a system like that I stop and 30 or 50 and give it a quick once over, and typically I find it too.

    I do the same thing as you ... and that worries me ...

    .
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

    "Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19

    possible leak in goodman ssx 16 410a condenser

    Quote Originally Posted by hypocycloid View Post
    Do you live in a climate where you have cold (below freezing) temperatures in the winter? There is a component on recent Goodman condensers/heatpumps that is known to leak under certain conditions, making it very difficult track down. You may want to inquire if your contractor is aware of the service bulletin about this issue (SC-009). If you have the serial number from the outdoor unit I may be able to tell you if it's affected by this.

    Benjamin
    model ssx160361ab
    serial 0704031396

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19
    Model is ssx160361ab
    serial 0704031396
    does this apply to service bulletin sc0009

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event