Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    Hope you never have to use that Epi-Pen, but be aware (if not already) that the heat inside your truck will negatively affect the stability (shelf life) of the unit (see below).

While I've dispensed many of them, I can't recall looking inside the package to see if the solution was visible. If it is, you might want to check it periodically for any color change of the solution. It should be clear and colorless.

Also, the expiration date is based on being stored at 'controlled room temperature' (68 - 77 degrees F).

I would recommend that you replace them in the Spring and Fall.

Amp
    Good to know. Normally I have 15-20 min window on one sting before things goes south if they do. Depending on how many times I get stung and what kind of bee seems to makes a difference. I had trouble as a kid with asthma and stings, big black bee stung me and had a rush to the ER I still haven't forgotten 20 years later.
    The more I learn the smarter I work.

I was on a rooftop replacing some hail damaged condensers one day and a very dark cloud started coming over the top of me. At first I did not know what it was. Then I realized it was bees. i yelled to my buddie and we high tailed it to the roof hatch swinging rags and flailing around.(Not a good thing to do) I find out later talking to an old timer at a bar and he tells me," That was a colony of bees moving the queen" Apparently the drones surround the queen and move in mass to protect her when they move. He also said little harm would be done a person during this process. I am not going to test that theory.
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

I deal with hives of a different kind. At least once every 2-3 years they'll build one in my walls, in this case, they came in around the meters. They generally are very easy to work around, just don't make any sudden moves or wear bright, flowery colors. Here, the beekeeper was showing off his little invention, a vac that sucks them into a box for moving while he looks for the queen. Only a couple hundred were in the unit when we were doing this, I've been surrounded by upwards of several thousand when clearing out a large hive, a stunt I certainly wouldn't recommend for someone with allergies.

(The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by btcstudenthvacr View Post
    When my throat swells and I can't breathe, it's life or death. You may think twice your self in my shoes.
    You did not mention any of this in your original message? Now you are allergic too?

Quote Originally Posted by 2001 View Post
    You did not mention any of this in your original message? Now you are allergic too?
    You mention this like I have a choice. I was born allergic and asthmatic. I spent a good chunk of my childhood once a week in a dr's office getting allergy shots and at least once a year in hospital for a bad asthma attack.Made grade school a real *****, especially gym class. Lost my mother to it too. Now you know the story. Sorry I didn't know I had to post it out for you in my original post.
    The more I learn the smarter I work.

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    Hope you never have to use that Epi-Pen, but be aware (if not already) that the heat inside your truck will negatively affect the stability (shelf life) of the unit (see below).

While I've dispensed many of them, I can't recall looking inside the package to see if the solution was visible. If it is, you might want to check it periodically for any color change of the solution. It should be clear and colorless.

Also, the expiration date is based on being stored at 'controlled room temperature' (68 - 77 degrees F).

I would recommend that you replace them in the Spring and Fall.

Amp
    Yeah, I know the heat gets to them if you leave them in the truck. I've been carrying one of those portable electric coolers for a few years now and I keep my epi-pen in there with my lunch and drinks. It also protects it from the UV light. And I do get them replaced when they are about to expire. I've got about three months to go on the two I have.

Normally I would have walked because I get the jitters around those critters, but like everything else in life sometimes you have to just bite the bullet and do it. Which is what I did. As for carb cleaner, I've used it on hornets and wasps, but 6 active hives would be trouble. Killing bees causes them to give off a pheromone which alerts members of its hive to go on the offensive. That I don't need.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Quote Originally Posted by btcstudenthvacr View Post
    You mention this like I have a choice. I was born allergic and asthmatic. I spent a good chunk of my childhood once a week in a dr's office getting allergy shots and at least once a year in hospital for a bad asthma attack.Made grade school a real *****, especially gym class. Lost my mother to it too. Now you know the story. Sorry I didn't know I had to post it out for you in my original post.
    Well, I am allergic to sulphur dioxide, good thing it is no longer used as a refrigerant. Another reason I found that bees don't bother me, is that they don't sting me. They attack and back off after a little nibble, I guess they don't like the taste of sunscreen?

I think that it is true that "if you don't bother them, they won't bother you." The problem is we don't always know what bothers them. It is clearly a communication and sensitivity problem.

I have been lucky to not run out of roof to run before they gave up chasing me.

I'm not allergic to bee stings, but I sure don't like the pain involved. I have serviced equipment belonging to 3 different beekeepers. All offered me one of those goofy netted hats, I always have a long sleeved shirt in my van. They always say don't swat at them and they won't bother you. And I like the jar of honey that is always given. I ran into a hornets nest in a crawl a few years ago. Emptied a fire extingusher on it and encased it in a plastic trash bag. In our profession we will run into these obsticles often. Stay calm, use your head, and if need be walk away.
    If you can't be on time, be early.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12