Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    now we r getting some where. I had planned to recover freon ..pull a deep vac and put all new gas in to eliminate possibility of non condensables.

You've got enough posts. Why not apply for pro status? Lots of info in the tech section.

cannot figure out how 2 do it ...... have unrestricted class 11 license but the form says print out and email ...if i print it out how do i email my stste license and epa card?

Quote Originally Posted by douknowq View Post
    cannot figure out how 2 do it ...... have unrestricted class 11 license but the form says print out and email ...if i print it out how do i email my stste license and epa card?
    I honesty don't remember. Somebody help this guy.
    If you can contact Robo,Twilli, or Webber they can help. They're the membership committee.

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    He claims he didn't ... right ... I did feel kind of bad about it later ... kind of ...

He drove his daughter all the way up here from Pittsbugh to kick my ass ... I would of won if my glasses didn't break ... He left her here so's I don't pick on him any more ... it's not right ...

That's not the story on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    Sounds like maybe nitrogen in system. Recover refrigerant into recovery cylinder let set for at least an hour then pull liquid only until cylinder is almost out of liquid then switch to new freon bottle and try again. Make sure to pull a hard vaccumm on system. Before recharging.

That's interesting, I would think that the low side would have a much higher pressure reading though.

If the unit was left off he could use his PT chart to see if it's close to where it should be.

But ... if it was installed and ran (OK maybe) in the fall and into this summer, what changed?

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

The Winner is..............MEOBERRY Yeaaaaaaa
    was nitrogen that was not evacuated from condenser when installed. I checked on this unit and it comes with nitrogen in it when new... no refrrigerant! I imagine the installers only evacuated the lines and not the new unit. reclaimed the charge, pulled a deep double vacuume and put in fresh gas and BOOM clear sight glass and normal pressures.

way 2 go Meoberry

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    That's interesting, I would think that the low side would have a much higher pressure reading though.

If the unit was left off he could use his PT chart to see if it's close to where it should be.

But ... if it was installed and ran (OK maybe) in the fall and into this summer, what changed?

Pressures would be unstable. Nitrogen has the habit of getting trapped in the high point of the refrigeration system until higher outside temps push it back into the freon. Making higher than normal head pressures and a pulsing of the suction pressures. (Remember nitrogen cannot be turned into a liquid except by far higher pressures that would not be possible in a refrigeration sytem) So it would act like air in the system except there would be no moisture in system.

Now the real truth. I have run across this same problem several times. Usually because of installers not realizing that commercial units come charged with nitrogen. And it seems that on the very next commercial system, if you do not remind them they will do it again.

Well as for it cooling the temps have been mild until lately. Unit was probably operating at about half capacity.
    Last edited by meoberry; 07-11-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Missed his last question

Woohoo.... moeberry!
    You da bomb!

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    I did this same thing once when I was just a wee 20 year old installer.
    My boss at the time fixed it the old fashioned way, blow the entire 40 lbs charge into the atmosphere and then evacuated it again and recharge the system.

I had such fun freezing all the bugs around the unit, I didn't get paid that day. That's the way it was in the old days, shocking by today's standards. You have to thank the old guys for creating global warming, without their efforts quite a few HVAC jobs would not exist today.

All condensers 10 tons and over are shipped with nitro. Good call Meoberry.

Damn lucky the compressors still operate.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    All condensers 10 tons and over are shipped with nitro. Good call Meoberry.

Damn lucky the compressors still operate.
    Careful. I have seen 5 and 7.5 ton trane units charged with nitro.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast