Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 42
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St Simons Island
    Posts
    74

    15 ton split system r-22

    Have a call on a split system - has a 15 ton new american standard condenser duel compressor. is piped to a rheem 12.5 ton slab coil with duel expansion valves. valves are 8 ton each on a 12.5 ton coil. the weird part is the sight glass will not clear up no matter how much refrigerant is added. right now the there id 70# suction and 300# head while only running on 1st stage compressor if i energise the 2nd compressor site glass is still foaming anf head goes to 365#. I would think the coil would be flooded and not starved.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,337
    Quote Originally Posted by douknowq View Post
    Have a call on a split system - has a 15 ton new american standard condenser duel compressor. is piped to a rheem 12.5 ton slab coil with duel expansion valves. valves are 8 ton each on a 12.5 ton coil. the weird part is the sight glass will not clear up no matter how much refrigerant is added. right now the there id 70# suction and 300# head while only running on 1st stage compressor if i energise the 2nd compressor site glass is still foaming anf head goes to 365#. I would think the coil would be flooded and not starved.
    What if there is a restriction? What is your SC and SH at?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    newton,mass.
    Posts
    6,109
    You should post more info. What are the entering and leaving air temps? what are the SH and SC readings? How much piping is there? Is the new condenser a single circuit dual compressor and the air handler set up the same. How much gas is no matter how much? Don't know what valves you have but they should be able to back off OK. Are you sure the valves are OK?
    How much gas did you recover from the old system? I have more but that's enough for now ...


    .
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

    "Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St Simons Island
    Posts
    74
    A restriction was my first thought. I only had a couple of min. there before they closed. only had time to get a supply temp of 67 and return of 71. short duct system only a few feet one return one supply into a very large room like a gym. line set is also short only about 12 feet. has a sight glass and liquid line drier. very green on the glass and no temp diff. after drier.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    newton,mass.
    Posts
    6,109
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    What if there is a restriction? What is your SC and SH at?
    He may be very low on charge and have a real hot return air temperature and ambient temperature. He should attempt to figure out what his approximate charge should be. If he can add, then he needs to know condenser charge, line(s) charge, and coil charge add them up and that gives him an approximate idea of where he is headed for charge. He may have to cool down the condenser to keep the thing running until he gets the charge close. In my humble opinion


    .
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

    "Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,337
    Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    He may be very low on charge and have a real hot return air temperature and ambient temperature. He should attempt to figure out what his approximate charge should be. If he can add, then he needs to know condenser charge, line(s) charge, and coil charge add them up and that gives him an approximate idea of where he is headed for charge. He may have to cool down the condenser to keep the thing running until he gets the charge close. In my humble opinion …


    .
    I agree, thats why temperatures need to be taken. I was given a example why a sight glass won't show proper charge.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St Simons Island
    Posts
    74
    Not hot indoor 72 degrees ouside temp 82 degrees both cond fans running only one of the 2 compressers running high head good suction and sight glass is foaming then flashes clear and u can see only a little refrigerant running through

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    newton,mass.
    Posts
    6,109
    Quote Originally Posted by douknowq View Post
    Not hot indoor 72 degrees ouside temp 82 degrees both cond fans running only one of the 2 compressers running high head good suction and sight glass is foaming then flashes clear and u can see only a little refrigerant running through

    Hmmm ... seems like it still needs freezone to me ... do tell ... how much did you recover? How much has been put in? Make sure when you look into the sight glass that the refrigerant flow is left to right.


    Let us know ...

    .
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

    "Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St Simons Island
    Posts
    74
    did not recover anything.... system running when i got there. head pressure at 250 added gas to over 320# and it made no differance in the sight glass

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,337
    Quote Originally Posted by douknowq View Post
    did not recover anything.... system running when i got there. head pressure at 250 added gas to over 320# and it made no differance in the sight glass
    Try pretending the sight glass wasn't there.......what would you do?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    newton,mass.
    Posts
    6,109
    Quote Originally Posted by douknowq View Post
    did not recover anything.... system running when i got there. head pressure at 250 added gas to over 320# and it made no differance in the sight glass

    Some how I got into my mind that the condenser was new ...

    Did your company install the condenser?

    Where did the original refrigerant go?


    .
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

    "Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,873
    Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    Some how I got into my mind that the condenser was new ...



    .

    Have a call on a split system - has a 15 ton new american standard condenser duel compressor.



    Maybe that's why. First sentence of thread.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St Simons Island
    Posts
    74
    what is up with smart ass remarks...... condenser is a 2008 ah is 15 yrs old ...so i am saying condenser is new

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event