Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I am an Independent Progressive - Not Left or Right

I have always been against raising the price or cost of energy to reduce consumption of it. We don't need any inflationary policies, or policies that might stagnate the economy!

I am only for educating the public through the media, on how they can greatly reduce their energy usage & providing incentives in addition to those savings to do so.

The Cap & Trade Bill is too unprincipled a policy directive that is too much stick & not enough carrot!

It would take a lot of the right kind of amendments to get my low esteemed support of such a bill.

There is a Win/Win way to achieve our fossil fuel energy reduction goals that involves proactive media support but Cap & Trade as its written, & as I understand it is not the requisite policy to implement!

I am an Independent Progressive, & only support what is right not what is Right or Left!
    - Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Some additional analysis of the home inspection clause.
    http://www.cnsnews.com/public/conten...x?RsrcID=50365
    Quote Originally Posted by REEP Proposed Legislation Language
    “States and local government entities may administer a REEP program in a manner that authorizes public or regulated investor-owned utilities, building auditors and inspectors, contractors, nonprofit organizations, for-profit companies, and other entities to perform audits and retrofit services,” reads the bill.

It further says, “A State or local administrator of a REEP program shall seek to ensure that sufficient qualified entities are available to support retrofit activities so that building owners have a competitive choice among qualified auditors, raters, contractors, and providers of services related to retrofits.”
    No wonder bills that work their way through Congress are pages upon pages thick. The very wording is bloated with verbal largess. Both quotes above can be easily condensed and still convey the same thought:

“States and local governments (delete "entities") may administer a REEP program (delete "in a manner") (delete "that") authorizing (delete "es", negating need for preceding article "that") public or regulated investor-owned utilities, building auditors and inspectors, contractors, nonprofit organizations, for-profit companies, and other entities to perform audits and retrofit services."

“A State or local administrator of a REEP program (delete "shall seek to") ensure that sufficient qualified entities are available to support retrofit activities so that building owners have a competitive choice among qualified auditors, raters, contractors, and providers of retrofit related services (recast of "services related to retrofits", thereby eliminating the article "to" and qualifying type of service as "retrofit" sooner).”

Point One: If our legislators can't write trim legislation, does that bode well for our effort to become an energy trim nation?

Point Two: A little grammar police work transforms what borderlines on verbal hershey squirts to something I might actually take time to read.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryd_2008 View Post
    But, then, what about those areas, and there are many, where people can't even get the cost to rebuild for their house?

Why is it assumed that you should be able to? Homes in my area have always hovered at or below the construction costs. That's what happens when you have a flat market without speculation or "bubbles". Where supply simply matches demand or even has a small amount of oversupply. Property should always have been a stable fixed asset, not someting with large returns.

As always, anything that has shown a history of having high returns, fundamentally carries with it a high level of risk. A LOT of people is many of these markets should have been renting instead of buying.

I think these home sinpection will be handled more similar to hte clean air act. The intent and purpose of the legistlation will get compeltely lost in implementation. With factory emmissions, it's of little improtant what you emmiting into the air. More improtant is that you have the proper documentation, paperwork and permitting for whatever it is that you are emitting.

Shophound... I think I shoud refer you ot a lawyer. I beleive those are legally key words that are required to give weight to the directive. Otherwise, the wording would be considered too vague legally, and not specific enough in term of what is being done.

Have you read any medical journals lately? My wife was diagnosed with a particular condition and in deciding which treatment option were reading a lot of medical publications and drug information. It's not so bad once you can define some of the latin terms. It nessesary for it to be clear and specific in meaning... but it sure seems like a waste of paper/bits/bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Shophound... I think I shoud refer you ot a lawyer. I beleive those are legally key words that are required to give weight to the directive. Otherwise, the wording would be considered too vague legally, and not specific enough in term of what is being done.

Have you read any medical journals lately? My wife was diagnosed with a particular condition and in deciding which treatment option were reading a lot of medical publications and drug information. It's not so bad once you can define some of the latin terms. It nessesary for it to be clear and specific in meaning... but it sure seems like a waste of paper/bits/bandwidth.
    Speaking off the cuff, of course...lawyers are the problem. When was the last time one of these guys in fine suits actually PRODUCED anything tangibly useful?

I understand the need for lawyers, but at times feel forced to conclude they exceed their legitimate need by a gross margin via creating more need for their services than is otherwise warranted.

I stand by my wordsmithing in previous post. Few writers get it that less truly can be more (I include myself in that swipe...precise sparseness is an ongoing skill under constant refinement).
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345