Partial system replacement?

I have a 5 ton carrier condensor that is about 8 years old. However, my furnace/air handler/ (not carrier brand) is at least 15-20 years old. Needless to say it is time to do an upgrade. Do I need to replace everything or can I just have the coil/furnace/air handler installed along with dampers to control balancing in my home. Thanks.

Post the model numbers of the equipment you have. Not sure by your post if you have a gas furnace and indoor coil with the condenser, or just a fan coil/air handler inside. I doubt there is an approved/rated match for your condenser, but at 8 years old, if it's a straight a/c, probably wouldn't be a problem installing a newer coil with a TXV. It's done quite often and works usually (assuming it's an air conditioner and not a heat pump). That's your call though. Best to have an approved/properly matched system though.

Will get the model numbers for the carrier unit. But, the furnace is an old Quatro model.
    I do have a gas furnace in the attic, along with the ac coil and air handler.

The gas furnace acts as the air handler, so really all that needs to be changed is the indoor coil and outdoor condenser. If the furnace can move the correct airflow for a 5 ton unit, and is in good condition, it can stay.

I was hoping to keep the condensing unit due to only being 8 years old. The furnace is old, but puts out some good heat. I was thinking that it may be beneficial to get a furnace that is more effecient.

I think my main issue is balancing the system with dampers. I have a two story approx. 2650 sqft. With this drastic heat (Houston, Texas) this summer, it has really began to strain my unit (about 12 hr run times).

If the coil that sits beside the furnace in the attic (where the refrigerant lines go) is already matched to your outdoor condenser, no need to replace it. If it's not, you could replace it, but would more than likely end up having to replace it again when you do your outdoor condenser, because the refrigerant type will be R-410A versus the R-22 that your system now is using. The furnace can be replaced since its separate from the air conditioning system. If I'm understanding what you have correctly, you have an air conditioner outside, a gas furnace inside, and a cooling coil with the gas furnace inside.