Thread: What to do?

What to do?

OK, just got asked this ... they have a hallmark HBD85 oil furnace with an "A" coil of unknown size and want to add a/c. From what i'm told the house is under eight hundred sq. feet. My first thought is the furnace is to big, and it is new, as is the coil, this adds to the problem. So, what advice would you give them as far as adding a/c. I would like to tell them to start over. The furnace is going to run for a very short time when heating and move to much air when cooling. So, what would you guys do?

PS
    I am not doing this job.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Silly Charlie. A load calculation and sell new and fix duct as needed
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Why not sell them a condenser and new evap. and just adjust the fan speed for the proper CFM?
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

As far as oil furnaces go, no huge. Highboy 85 out with a 3 ton max drive. 4 sp blower properly set up with decent duct system and you should be able to make a good install out of it. Everybody loves a challenge
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Why not sell them a condenser and new evap. and just adjust the fan speed for the proper CFM?

The guy who asked me is there now looking at it and getting more info. I went on line and looked at the furnace spec's, it has a three speed motor that even on low may be well over the cfm needed. Also, the size coil that's in there is unknown ... as of this moment. I think the duct work is original and I would think there is not much of it. Strangely enough I found out that this house is two blocks from where I live ... I wonder if they signed the petition to have me thrown out of town ...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.