Confused Is There Any Advantage to Adding A Second Return Grill?

I have a 3.5 ton split system with air the handler in the garage and my return grill 20 x 24 x 1 just above the floor. I use a washable filter because I had to change a pleated filer monthly due to clogging, desert dust and parrots. For test purposes only when removing the filter my static presure with mesaurments taken above the evaporator jumped higher with filter removed. Would it be to my advantage to add a second return grill?
    Last edited by roberzie; 07-08-2009 at 03:15 AM. Reason: spelling

small return

Quote Originally Posted by roberzie View Post
    I have a 3.5 ton split system with air the handler in the garage and my return grill 20 x 24 x 1 just above the floor. I use a washable filter because I had to change a pleated filer monthly due to clogging, desert dust and parrots. For test purposes only when removing the filter my static presure with mesaurments taken above the evaporator jumped higher with filter removed. Would it be to my advantage to add a second return grill?
    Your current return is sufficient for a 2&1/2 ton system. Yes add another return and your filters will last longer.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Also when your return is undersized you will run at a high static pressure, and high static =dead compressor

and get rid of the washable it is highly restrictive with that filter and the undersized return you are chocking your system