Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    12

    Is the UA good??

    Is the UA a good union to join. Will they help me find a job since im unemployed and have No experience. If you know anything about them and would recommend or not let me know.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    1,275
    Let me be the first to say it.

    HERE WE GO AGAIN........

    I am a proud UA member, but the union isn't for everyone. There are good arguments for and against them.

    Right now, pretty much everyone is struggling, and not many places are looking for new employees, union or not.

    Even if times were good, the local I belong to requires a degree in HVAC/R from a Tech. School, or a bunch of experience, before you can get in. Then you start a 5 year apprenticeship program which means 2 or 3 nights per week of night school, while you work during the day at a reduced rate of pay.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    638
    UA = Good thing,

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,322
    Quote Originally Posted by bt84 View Post
    Is the UA a good union to join. Will they help me find a job since im unemployed and have No experience. If you know anything about them and would recommend or not let me know.
    The only way the UA will help you find a job with no experience is if you can get into an apprenticeship program. The pluses are that you get good training and have a wage for that five years, AND you become a known quantity to some union-hiring company. The minus is that the apprentice wage is low, and you live with it for five years. That's certainly better than being unemployed, and hey, the position after that five years is probably worth it.

    That said, you will have a hard time getting an HVAC job with no experience anywhere, because there are experienced, ready-to-go people without jobs.

    Since you asked a question without the correct punctuation, you're probably young, and being young, you are now subject to Old F*art Advice, which I give for free.

    Finish becoming an educated person. Communication skills are a key ingredient in your success. If you have sent more text messages than the number of short stories you have read, you are in trouble.

    If you have no money, you might get a grant or loan to get some more English and math. If you want to do HVAC, get some science, as well.

    Not the answer you wanted, but you would be wise to listen.
    Last edited by timebuilder; 07-08-2009 at 09:08 PM.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    77
    Many locals have good training programs. You have to realize that the locals are like states each completely different. Some states have a bunch of locals (Washington) and some have only one (Oregon). Here in Alaska we have 3 in spite of the low State population we have great distances.
    Even more than states, the locals are independently run. Different pension plans and rules etc. Each area must be judged independently.
    In addition to the different management, policies etc, you have a different economic situation in each local. Both due to the strength of the particular local, but the local economy.

    Many locals, like mine, have excellent schools and training. If you can get in one of those with excellent education you have nothing to lose. When I started, I worked part time in an unrelated type job while going to school, then got my first job.

    People do sometimes transfer locals but it is not always easy. It happens when a local has more work than they can handle they borrow travelers from other areas, and often allow some to transfer in.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Skokie , IL near chicago
    Posts
    1,130

    ua

    Quote Originally Posted by bt84 View Post
    Is the UA a good union to join. Will they help me find a job since im unemployed and have No experience. If you know anything about them and would recommend or not let me know.
    yes they will help , but you must go through a 5 year apprenticeship first . during that 5 yrs you'll start at a lower wage and it increases every year. apprentices are usually not laid off but you have to attend school and be sharp with VERY good work habits , 'cause cutting and threading pipe for a bunch of journeymen and doing alla grunt work and putting up uncounted hangers , etc. aint easy. also read what ammonia dog just posted and others that spent a good part of their career in the union. It was great for me 'cause i made it that way , they gave me the schooling and i ran with it. it's up to you.........Jack

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Skokie , IL near chicago
    Posts
    1,130

    Angry great post.......

    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    The only way the UA will help you find a job with no experience is if you can get into an apprenticeship program. The pluses are that you get good training and have a wage for that five years, AND you become a known quantity to some union-hiring company. The minus is that the apprentice wage is low, and you live with it for five years. That's certainly better than being unemployed, and hey, the position after that five years is probably worth it.

    That said, you will have a hard time getting an HVAC job with no experience anywhere, because there are experienced, ready-to-go people without jobs.

    Since you asked a question without the correct punctuation, you re probably young, and being young, you are now subject to Old F*art Advice, which I give for free.

    Finish becoming a educated person. Communication skills are a key ingredient in your success. If you have sent more text messages than the number of short stories you have read, you are in trouble.

    If you have no money, you might get a grant or loan to get some more English and math. If you want to do HVAC, get some science, as well.

    Not the answer you wanted, but you would be wise to listen.
    also being an old fart i really agree with your advice . I was lucky , i came from a family of scholars , all older and my uncles and aunts all took me to their school open houses and made me see at a really young age the value of education and READING!! I'm sick of guys telling me "i hate reading i'll just watch you and learn" Yes ojt is important but all the info that you need to make u a great tech is in books and classrooms. I also love the guys that say i'm not going to school on my own time , you'll have to pay me. Sorry for the rant this kind of stuff pushes my hot button.............Jack

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    windy city
    Posts
    4,430
    yeah! ditto.
    if you want to be employable, you must make yourself knowledgeable. the hall can't teach you everything.
    you will start at the bottom. the apprenticeship program will teach and instruct, but to advance farther more quickly, you must do a lot of reading on your on time 'to come up to speed'
    to keep on top of this game, after 28 years, i still keep reading and learning (as i'm sure anyone else here).
    it's a trade, when you become a journeyman, you'll be able to provide for a family, and live the american dream. (provided this present 'economic slowdown' relents)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Skokie , IL near chicago
    Posts
    1,130

    if you........

    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetaldad View Post
    yeah! ditto.
    if you want to be employable, you must make yourself knowledgeable. the hall can't teach you everything.
    you will start at the bottom. the apprenticeship program will teach and instruct, but to advance farther more quickly, you must do a lot of reading on your on time 'to come up to speed'
    to keep on top of this game, after 28 years, i still keep reading and learning (as i'm sure anyone else here).
    it's a trade, when you become a journeyman, you'll be able to provide for a family, and live the american dream. (provided this present 'economic slowdown' relents)
    are in 597 in chi. they were in on the digital control experience right away , and their pneumatics classes were just great too. i even took a fiber optics course there , burned the crap out of my feet 'till i learned to wear boots to an arc welding class learned 1 pass gas welding , on & on it's all there you just gotta grab it , all for a small shop fee to learn stuff it would cost thousands onna outside........Jack

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    windy city
    Posts
    4,430
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by rojacman View Post
    are in 597 in chi. they were in on the digital control experience right away , and their pneumatics classes were just great too. i even took a fiber optics course there , burned the crap out of my feet 'till i learned to wear boots to an arc welding class learned 1 pass gas welding , on & on it's all there you just gotta grab it , all for a small shop fee to learn stuff it would cost thousands onna outside........Jack
    597!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Independence
    Posts
    197
    In KC you need to have some schooling, and a year or so experience to even get your foot in the door as a service technician. The UA is definitely worth it in the long run, but takes some time to break into.

    I see that the fast track in would be first to go and sign up with the local training center or hall(depending how they do it in your area). Then go to the local trade school or community college to get started. Usually you can end up with an entry level position in one of the non-union companys. Once you have at least a little bit of school and some experience this will help you get your foot in the door at the UA.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    77
    VAV- Great strategy. In fact my brother did that. He went to the public trade school as you suggested and demonstrated that he was going to compete with them or join them. When they see someone is that serious about it you are way ahead.
    I know guys who applied every year for 3 yrs until they got in.
    We also recruit into our local skilled good guys to join as journeyman.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    The only way the UA will help you find a job with no experience is if you can get into an apprenticeship program. The pluses are that you get good training and have a wage for that five years, AND you become a known quantity to some union-hiring company. The minus is that the apprentice wage is low, and you live with it for five years. That's certainly better than being unemployed, and hey, the position after that five years is probably worth it.

    That said, you will have a hard time getting an HVAC job with no experience anywhere, because there are experienced, ready-to-go people without jobs.

    Since you asked a question without the correct punctuation, you're probably young, and being young, you are now subject to Old F*art Advice, which I give for free.

    Finish becoming an educated person. Communication skills are a key ingredient in your success. If you have sent more text messages than the number of short stories you have read, you are in trouble.

    If you have no money, you might get a grant or loan to get some more English and math. If you want to do HVAC, get some science, as well.

    Not the answer you wanted, but you would be wise to listen.
    Can you suggest any good hvac learning books, I have completed tech school and would like to keep my education going. If you had any suggestions let me hear them. I also welcome any old fart advice that you are willing to give.
    Last edited by bt84; 07-10-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: forgot a line

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event