Trane 5 ton split system replacement instead of repair recommendation.

Trane 5 ton split system replacement instead of repair recommendation.

I recently had a problem of unit not cooling and was told to replace unit. The tech found that I was completely out of freon and this caused the compressor to trip. They want to do a leak check and charge the system. I would of thought finding the leak and possibly repairing it would come first. My question is, what do I do to make sure I am not getting any unnecessary replacements. The unit is 8 years old and the home is vacant. I want to rent it out but in FL, no A/C means no tenant. I live in VA so it makes it tough to get straight answers. They say I'm looking at close to $$$$$ to get it running.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb1020 View Post
    I recently had a problem of unit not cooling and was told to replace unit. The tech found that I was completely out of freon and this caused the compressor to trip. They want to do a leak check and charge the system. I would of thought finding the leak and possibly repairing it would come first. My question is, what do I do to make sure I am not getting any unnecessary replacements. The unit is 8 years old and the home is vacant. I want to rent it out but in FL, no A/C means no tenant. I live in VA so it makes it tough to get straight answers. They say I'm looking at close to $ to get it running.
    You aren't supposed to mention price, but the price you mentioned is that to repair the system or put in a new unit?

Where in florida is the house?
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-07-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Removed price from quote

Foolish not to replace the unit. If you're an absentee landlord, do you want to gamble that the repair lasts? Ya fix one leak, then another pops up, and another, then the fan motor, then the contactor. You get the idea. Bite the bullet, and replace it.

Get a second opinion.

8 years old, should be worth fixing. Depending where the leak is.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

My bad, it is to replace the unit. The leak check, freon, charging lines, labor, and if leak found replacement of coil. If the compressor is fried they tabulated it also. I would rather do things one step at a time and they drop a huge number on me. 1. leak check 2. leak found....repair/replace...etc. I'm unable to replace my entire system for various reasons.

I would get a second opinion, even if you lost a compressor, the unit is probably worth fixing.

Repairing the leak is the ideal situation for you (cost effective), but where is the leak?
    and can the leak be repaired. If it's 8 yrs old and your renting, replace the unit and this will give you piece of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    You aren't supposed to mention price, but the price you mentioned is that to repair the system or put in a new unit?

Where in florida is the house?
    The house is in Orlando and the A/C was left running by someone doing work in the home or by my property manager. The property manager said it was blowing hot air. I called about it and he said he left the system on fan so it isn't his fault. I can't prove anything so I gotta take it in the @#!@.

If that system didnt have a low pressure cutout and the compressor ran for a long time and cycled on internal overload several times the windings in the compressor and may be effected. If thats the case I would replace it.

If it's rental property, it should all be a write off. Replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb1020 View Post
    The house is in Orlando and the A/C was left running by someone doing work in the home or by my property manager. The property manager said it was blowing hot air. I called about it and he said he left the system on fan so it isn't his fault. I can't prove anything so I gotta take it in the @#!@.
    If you want a second opinion send me an email, in my profile I listed me email address.

I am a State Certified A/C Contractor as well as a State Certified Building Contractor.