3 ton condenser with 4 ton indoor coil

I recently had a new system put in my home and just now noticed that the condenser and coil tonnage do not match up.

The condenser is a Rheem RAPL-036JAZ and the indoor coil is a Rheem RCFL-HM4821. Is this a good match or was it a mistake by the contractor? I think I've read that to get the most out of a 14 SEER rating, it's good to have a larger coil, but can someone confirm?

Thanks.

It is not uncommon to have a larger indoor coil, as long as it has the proper TXV you are fine, many times the larger coil is used to get a higher SEER rating.

You can call the manufacturer and give them the model numbers and they will let you know if it is a matched system.

Only the 3 ton coils are listed as appropriate/rated matches by both Rheem and AHRI. I would discuss with the dealer. Common practice to oversize a bit to get more efficiency, but always need to make sure its approved. That coil may be too big.

See pages 6-7 here from Rheem - http://globalimageserver.com/fetchDo...9-79e1cc165d6c. May want to print those pages out to show to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Only the 3 ton coils are listed as appropriate/rated matches by both Rheem and AHRI. I would discuss with the dealer. Common practice to oversize a bit to get more efficiency, but always need to make sure its approved. That coil may be too big.

See pages 6-7 here from Rheem - http://globalimageserver.com/fetchDo...9-79e1cc165d6c. May want to print those pages out to show to the dealer.
    If it's not approved, would that void my warranty? By the way, I called the dealer and they confirmed that it is the preferable match given the 14 SEER. Interesting that Rheem's spec sheet would contradict that.