Thread: 3 ton condenser with 4 ton indoor coil

Post Likes

3 ton condenser with 4 ton indoor coil

I recently had a new system put in my home and just now noticed that the condenser and coil tonnage do not match up.

The condenser is a Rheem RAPL-036JAZ and the indoor coil is a Rheem RCFL-HM4821. Is this a good match or was it a mistake by the contractor? I think I've read that to get the most out of a 14 SEER rating, it's good to have a larger coil, but can someone confirm?

Thanks.

Post Likes
    It is not uncommon to have a larger indoor coil, as long as it has the proper TXV you are fine, many times the larger coil is used to get a higher SEER rating.

You can call the manufacturer and give them the model numbers and they will let you know if it is a matched system.

Post Likes
    Only the 3 ton coils are listed as appropriate/rated matches by both Rheem and AHRI. I would discuss with the dealer. Common practice to oversize a bit to get more efficiency, but always need to make sure its approved. That coil may be too big.

See pages 6-7 here from Rheem - http://globalimageserver.com/fetchDo...9-79e1cc165d6c. May want to print those pages out to show to the dealer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Only the 3 ton coils are listed as appropriate/rated matches by both Rheem and AHRI. I would discuss with the dealer. Common practice to oversize a bit to get more efficiency, but always need to make sure its approved. That coil may be too big.

See pages 6-7 here from Rheem - http://globalimageserver.com/fetchDo...9-79e1cc165d6c. May want to print those pages out to show to the dealer.
    If it's not approved, would that void my warranty? By the way, I called the dealer and they confirmed that it is the preferable match given the 14 SEER. Interesting that Rheem's spec sheet would contradict that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in