Another XL16i running constantly + won't cool thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another XL16i running constantly + won't cool thread

Since purchased less than three years ago, my trane XL16i air conditioner has been nothing but trouble. It hasn’t run a year without something breaking, and me stuck waiting days or weeks (in Florida, in the summer) for replacement parts to come in.

This last time it broke - the problem is far worse because the dealer that does the warranty work can’t seem to fix it after half a dozen tech visits, over a month’s time.

The AC’s running nonstop since the evaporator coil was changed, yet fails to adequately cool off the house and won't get anywhere near the thermostat setting of 74 that worked just fine with the old (leaking) coil. Since then freon was added (overcharged) or removed, and the TXV valve replaced after the service manager said he thinks that may fix what's wrong. These repairs led to a new issue of water dripping down the outside of the air handler, onto the wood base. When I changed the air filter it was soaking wet. The dealer doesn't know what's wrong. It took two weeks for the new coil to arrive, and another two weeks for two (the first was defective out of the box) TXV valves. Now what?

I opened a trouble ticket with Trane, but they brushed me off by referring me to the regional rep whom after leaving a few voicemails, hasn't returned any calls.

I read two multi-paged threads here with similar trouble, but neither got resolved.

I'm worried about mold in the ducts and other heath troubles. What can I do about that while waiting for Trane to do something with the broke AC?

Keep pushing Trane, and the area trane rep
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The more you get under someones skin the quicker they will want to get you out of your life. Sorry to hear about your issues, the 16 seers we've put in have worked well.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

that's terrible!!!

like BT said, keep pushing trane!

possibly find anoth trane dealer in you area to see what they say.

am a trane dealer and it doesn't take days for me to get parts. you live in the boonies? if i have to order a part its at most 2 days away...
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Did they replace the indoor and outdoor units? whats the model #'s of both?

Quote "service manager said he thinks that may fix what's wrong"

Good techs know whats wrong. It's not brain surgery. If they can't fix it then ask them to send a Trane field rep out.

Model numbers = 4TWX6048B1000AA + 4TEE3F40A1000.

Neither unit was replaced. Just parts.

The 10 year warraty lists a specific dealer - so I'm afraid to have anyone but those people touch the AC for fear of having that used an excuse to void the warranty.

Regardless of the ineptness of the techs, and what seems to me like stonewalling by Trane, The best I can do is keep complaining, document everything, and afford these people every courtesy to try to fix the AC, by making myself and the house available. When the point comes to draw a line and throw it out, that's another story. I certainly consider this thing a lemon, the support horrible, and would love to replace it with another brand.

I live in a nice middle-class suburb in Florida, definitely not the boonies. Coil took 16 days to get, TXV valves another week (first arrived damaged) each.

Besides the electric bill, my fear now is mold growing in the ducts and wood rot to the air handler's wood platform from the leaking water. I got a bunch of rags all over the base to protect the wood. Is there something I can put behind the vent grills, or big return box with the fiberglass (???) inside to help protect from something breeding in there?

Just from what you have posted about the install companies answers to your problems I would guess it is a installation or sizing problem over a bad brand.

Your unit delivered to your dealer in parts and peices and they installed it for you. Its not like a new car which is delivered already assembled and you just turn a key and go. With the answers your getting from your installation company I would say that they are just guessing at what is wrong. You need a real technician out to diagnosis what is wrong and give you ideas on how best to repair. I have no idea on how Trane warranty works but with most brands you can use any dealer.

Good luck with your problem.
    Its a good Life!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenestrada View Post
    The 10 year warraty lists a specific dealer - so I'm afraid to have anyone but those people touch the AC for fear of having that used an excuse to void the warranty.
    If it is a Trane extended warranty, you are not required to use the dealer listed on the warranty, and if you find a Trane dealer you like better, there is a 1-800 number on the back of the warranty form that you can call to switch to them as the servicing dealer.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenestrada View Post
    Model numbers = 4TWX6048B1000AA + 4TEE3F40A1000.
    I'm could be wrong (I'm just HO)...and missing something. But isn't that a 3.5 Ton air handler?, matched to a 4 Ton outdoor unit???
    http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...E-Air-Handlers

Are you sure those model numbers are correct and it's not a "4TEEF48"???

I would think an undersized coil would cause cooling capacity issues along with compressor problems like hard starting, high pressures...which you seem to be having.

Nevermind...there is a AHRI match for that air handler and outdoor unit. It just seemed strange at first.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I would think an undersized coil would cause cooling capacity issues along with compressor problems like hard starting, high pressures...which you seem to be having.
    wow psychic.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Twilli's thinking hostage situation
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast