Trane Xl15i lights dim when started (Hard Start Kit?)

I have the following Trane equipment installed:

Furnace: 60,000BTU Trane XV95

Compressor: 2 Ton Trane xl15i 4TTX5024A

Coil: 4TXCB025BC3

I do have 100amp service

When the compressor first kicks on the lights noticeably dim for a split second. After that they are fine. I remember reading that Trane offered a free Hard Start kit. Is there one available for my unit? Thanks

Teddy

Quote Originally Posted by teddyc27 View Post
    I have the following Trane equipment installed:

Furnace: 60,000BTU Trane XV95

Compressor: 2 Ton Trane xl15i 4TTX5024A

Coil: 4TXCB025BC3

I do have 100amp service

When the compressor first kicks on the lights noticeably dim for a split second. After that they are fine. I remember reading that Trane offered a free Hard Start kit. Is there one available for my unit? Thanks

Teddy
    Have a qualified Licensed electrician check for a loose connection, but it is most likely to what is called inrush, where the starting amperage is up to 5 times the run amperage, and with only a 100 amp service, that is what would cause it.

If you need a hard start talk to your Licensed A/C contractor about it.

That 2 ton XL15i has a factory installed start kit in it.
    The start kit doesn't reduce the peak amperage on start-up, it just reduces the length of time it is at the peak amperage.

Is the dimming just a brief flicker, or does it dim the lights for a couple of seconds when it starts?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I too sometimes notice a brief dim flicker upon startup (<1 second), but never thought much about it. Curious to see what the pros have to say about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I too sometimes notice a brief dim flicker upon startup (<1 second), but never thought much about it. Curious to see what the pros have to say about this one.
    I already explained what the issue is.

a 100 amp service is on the small side, with a compressor that pulls 12 FLA it can pull 60 amps Briefly at start up, maybe slightly more.

Check to see if the A/C breaker is installed nearest to the main breaker. If not, call an electrician.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Thanks guys. Lots of good info here.

1. I had an electrician out to look at my panel about 1 month before the AC install. He said everything looked good. I do notice a smaller flicker also when the dryer, fridge and dehumidifier first turn on.

2. The dimming from the AC is a brief flicker. Its not horrible, but if there was an easy fix I would get it taken care of.

3. I have attached a document I found online that shows the "Start Components" (I would assume the same as a hard start kit) are factory installed on the 2 ton. Strange how some of the other sizes in the document do not have that. I think the confusion came from, the R22 version of the XL15i start kit was optional. I found an old document that showed this. I guess the R-410a models are different.

4. On my breaker there is a left and right side. My AC is the highest breaker on the right side. Is that nearest to the main breaker?

Thanks

Teddy
    Attached Images Attached Images