RiteTemp 6030: air cooler doesn't turn off

Hello,

I have two zone house with RiteTemp 6030 thermostats on each zone, had them for almost a year now without a problem. However, today noticed strange behavior - air cooler would not turn off.

The main thermostat has temperature set at 76C and after reaching 74C I would still hear the fan and get cold air. To start testing I turned off zone 2 (upstairs) and would still get full cold air flow - the main thermostat would not turn off even when I set temperature to 68C. Tried resetting main thermostat, nothing helped. Tried heat and it works fine with fan and heat off once temperature was above the threshold.

Batteries are good - changed them about a month ago, although they are Kodak brand, but not sure if brand matters.

What could be the problem? Is it the thermostat or the cooling system?

thanks!

Call your local contractor.

Sorry, this is not a DIY site. So we are not allowed to give out DIY advise.

Please read Site Rules Thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks, can you recommend a site where I can ask my question?

Quote Originally Posted by camokatu View Post
    Thanks, can you recommend a site where I can ask my question?
    No, we don't promote DIY here.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by camokatu View Post
    The main thermostat has temperature set at 76C and after reaching 74C I would still hear the fan and get cold air.
    76C = 169F.

I like it hot

Sorry, my mistake.

Is just the fan turned on?

I am just a home owner myself, so I am not familiar with that t-stat. But, most t-stats have a fan switch/mode which will keep the fan running even when there is no call for heat/cool. You can tell if this is the case if the fan is blowing, but, the compressor (outside) is off. Some systems also have the ability to "circulate" (circulate mode). This will cause the system fan to come on randomly, or continuously at a slow speed if you have a higher quality system that has a variable speed fan.

Something else to check out is some houses have a timer that will turn on the fan for a hour or two every day for radon gas elimination. Some systems have this built into the t-stats, others (like my old house) it is a separate timer connected to the air handler. Either way, this could cause your fan to run.

If both the fan, and compressor are running after the temperature is below what your t-stats are set at, then you will need to call out a service tech. You said you just replaced the batteries? It is possible that some setting got reset and is no longer setup correctly for your system. Again, this will require calling out a tech.

If you just had your system for a year, I would call the installing contractor. He would be the best to help you. Hopefully it is just a user setting issue. If so, he should be able to help you (possibly even over the phone).

Good Luck!

FrankD,

You are absolutely right, it was the fan setting on the thermostat that was set to 'Fan On'. Stupid of me to overlook this little detail - I started thinking that it was something serious.

Thanks!