Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by meyer0202 View Post
    Well, after reading these replies and searching through all these forums, I feel alot better about taking this position. I do realize how lcky I am to get this job especially with how the economy is. Ranken Tech here in St. Louis is always sending out job openings here in the St. Louis area and in Illinois. I am glad I chose to go there. Thanks for the replies everyone.
    To quote my earlier post.

Ranken allows you to set up a search for jobs in yor field. Every 2 weeks or so I get 5 or so job listings in HVAC. I applied to all of them. I got 2 or 3 interviews out of lke 30 apps put in. I do have my universal certification, a 4.0 in school, and have worked for the county government. That's all I had. The fact that I came from Ranken helped me out a great deal as well. The owner has hired serveral people from Ranken. Plus the owner apparently went to the same high school that I did except 40 years before I graduated. I didn't have an insider or know anyone with the company. I made sure to be at the top of my class and to work very hard. Plus a bit of luck I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    make sure you ask some questions and show some interest into what is going on
    You need to go much further than that. Take a proactive approach and make yourself stand out. Show enthusiasm and have a drive to learn as much as you can as fast as you can. Ask a LOT of questions and get the techs you will work with to explain how systems work and how they interact with other building systems. Most of us love to teach what we know because it is knowledge that has to be passed on from journeyman to apprentice. You can only get so far with book knowledge. If you truly want to make this a career, put your heart and soul into it and you will be rewarded with decent pay, steady work and the satisfaction that you have accomplished something. It can be grueling and uncomfortable work most of the time and it's not one of those careers that any child would say "I'm going to be an air conditioning repairman when I grow up", but it sure beats most of the alternatives.

This trade is full of dullards that just scrape by. Don't be one of them. Take the bull by the horns and advance in your career.
    Low Pressure Forever!

If you know heavy metal, you can work anywhere-Dave Andreson

Anchors Aweigh my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
    Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day. Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam. Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

Always remember this, the more you know the more you are worth.

Congrats! I started out in commercial refrigeration when I was 17, many, many years ago. Lean as much as you can whenever you can. It's always up to you, not your company, not anone else. Learn a broad range of everything that get cold or hot on purpose and especially the controls. You will always have a job.

Oh yea. And you learn that in doing refrigeration work there will be many days you return home after a full days works smelling like every type of food you have been around. You'll get use to it.

Good luck.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

do employers consider school time as experience ? the school im in is very hands on and have more units then students.i would think after a year of school you'd have a year of experience ?? just thinkin how the hell do you get exp. if places only hire people w/exp.

Meanwhile, read some books on employees and employers rights. Nolo Press has some of these. It's guaranteed you'll be surprised.

Most employers do consider school time a type of experience that shows motivation and a desire to learn. Intelligent and good employers look for a balance of formal education and field experience, which in this field, will be a forever thing. There is always something to learn.

As for experience and getting it -- all of us had that same situation when we started..yet we started. It's going to take some shoe leather to meet business owners and service managers to talk them into hiring you. And it will happen if you get out there and hit the streets in face to face interviews while showing a strong desire to show up for work, take and accept direction and complete the work that has been assigned.

You never will be, or should be, bored in this line of work.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12