Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 49

Thread: Union tips

  1. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    OK, I get it, this union vs. non union debate will never come to an agreeable resolution. But to you Mr. bwalley, your vitrial towards the union and union members is just plain ridiculous. Somewhere along the line you had a bad experience wth unions, get over it. I work for a local that allows contractors to send techs back to the hall if they dont perform as expected or for any other reason that a business owner may legitamately have. I have worked for both non-union and union shops. If you are a good tech, your working. If your not a good tech, ur on the bench. Please refrain from spewing such hatred toward unions and my union brothers, thank-you in advance.
    I have no issue with any Union member, it is just Unions in general I don't like, the USPS has a great Union don't they??

    How about the NEA, aren't they a great Union?

    I own my business so I don't have any use for a Union, if I was a slacker, then I would want to be in a union.

  2. #28
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    276
    a union is the members so when you have an issue with the union you have issue with the members

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by coolestacman View Post
    a union is the members so when you have an issue with the union you have issue with the members
    So does that mean that since there are a bunch of slackers in Unions, everyone is a slacker?

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    I have no issue with any Union member, it is just Unions in general I don't like, the USPS has a great Union don't they??

    How about the NEA, aren't they a great Union?

    I own my business so I don't have any use for a Union, if I was a slacker, then I would want to be in a union.
    So you are not attacking union members, only the unions. Yet in your very next statement you say that union members are slackers. I, sir, am not a slacker. This is the second time Ive come across your posts wherein you make a big proclamation about being a business owner, as if that give you some special credentials. It does not!!! I think that your close mindedness will cause you to miss out on some very valuable opportunities in you business ventures. Good ludk

  5. #31
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    276
    I suppose you have troubles working with people being you are a superhero

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    So you are not attacking union members, only the unions. Yet in your very next statement you say that union members are slackers. I, sir, am not a slacker. This is the second time Ive come across your posts wherein you make a big proclamation about being a business owner, as if that give you some special credentials. It does not!!! I think that your close mindedness will cause you to miss out on some very valuable opportunities in you business ventures. Good ludk
    My point about being a business owner is there are some people who hire people and some people who get hired.

    If I was an employee and just wanted to work my 40 hours a week and collect a paycheck, a Union may be the way to go, but I have bigger dreams and goals than just collecting a paycheck.

  7. #33
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    276
    just fyi

    In Ontario the unions have done well and it is very common to see union jobs on budget and on time

    one other point in our union there are very few slackers because they don't seem to stay around long due to competitive reasons

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by coolestacman View Post
    I suppose you have troubles working with people being you are a superhero
    My clients seem to like me just fine and my employees seem to be happy working for me, my subs may or may not like me, but they do like gettting paid within 1 week of submitting a draw request, how many other GC's pay that quick?

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    My point about being a business owner is there are some people who hire people and some people who get hired.

    If I was an employee and just wanted to work my 40 hours a week and collect a paycheck, a Union may be the way to go, but I have bigger dreams and goals than just collecting a paycheck.
    Thats great, good for you. I respect that. But because I chose not to take on the headaches of being a business owner, that somehow makes me not as worthy as you. Loosen up and get that chip off of your shoulder, you will be much happier.

  10. #36
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    276
    so i collect a very good paycheck and go fishing, boating, cruising and racing

    if that is slacking then i am guilty of being a slacker

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    77
    bwally- please read post 16.
    See also #20.

    The OP gets it. Your point is made.

    No one will change your mind.
    Nor mine after 35 great years.

    People don't change their minds. That is why you voted for George the 2d time when it was clear that he would lead us to a world record debt and keep our boys coming home in boxes.

    When you say "sucks" it sounds like a quote from Beavis and Butthead.

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    Thats great, good for you. I respect that. But because I chose not to take on the headaches of being a business owner, that somehow makes me not as worthy as you. Loosen up and get that chip off of your shoulder, you will be much happier.
    I never took a shhot at any individual Union member.

    I have relatives that are Union members, my FIL was a union member and he complained more about how the Union was screwing things up because of unreasonable negotiations, all the Union cares about is what they can get, they don't care if the company goes out of business.

    Problem is when these overpaid union members put a company out of business, they can't get jobs that pay the same as the ones they lost due to their own greed.

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    I never took a shhot at any individual Union member.

    I have relatives that are Union members, my FIL was a union member and he complained more about how the Union was screwing things up because of unreasonable negotiations, all the Union cares about is what they can get, they don't care if the company goes out of business.

    Problem is when these overpaid union members put a company out of business, they can't get jobs that pay the same as the ones they lost due to their own greed.
    Well I do get paid very well, but believe me, I, we, are not putting anybody out of business. Contrctors are making a 30% profit margin off of most jobs and are doing quite well , thank you. If a contractor is not making any money and is going out of business because of the union, then please explain to me why that contractor is a signatory to the union?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event