Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Union tips

Angry amen to this brother

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    Do Unions really Work??

My experience is the protect lazy incompetent workers and put companies out of business.

A friend of mine is also a contractor in Florida and 1 job he bid on required it be done by Union workers, the Union Glaziers did such a great job, he had to hire another crew at his expense to fix their work, the union guys were more expensive, slower and did crappy work.
    I have found unions to be exactly as you described them. I have seen unions protect the scum of the earth and then throw out good hard working dependable men....Unions suck

Quote Originally Posted by justbud38134 View Post
    I have found unions to be exactly as you described them. I have seen unions protect the scum of the earth and then throw out good hard working dependable men....Unions suck
    It happens but not every where. Just like the guy who kisses up to the boss to get ahead, it's just as bad. I've seen the bosses "pet" move up the ladder while good hard working people were left behind.

Like I stated before, there is good and bad on both sides of thr fence. Unions historically do provide better wages/benefits than non union. Again, not every where but overall I would say it's true.

My union has very few "slackers" If you don't pull your weight, your on the bench looking for work. If the customer is unhappy, they won't ask for you back. Kind of the best of both worlds to me.

It seems to me the op asked a legitimate question about something he has already made his mind up on.

Don't let this turn into yet another pile of trash that ends up closed.

Some like unions and some don't, it's obvious based on a zillion other threads and we all know that...so if you can't help the guy with good info without bashing...don't post.

Interesting comment bwalley

if it is the unions that is putting companies out of business please explain how the majority of business that go out of business are actually non-union

I think if you look into it you will find that is most likely the management of the company is the main reason companies go out of business

Quote Originally Posted by coolestacman View Post
    Interesting comment bwalley

if it is the unions that is putting companies out of business please explain how the majority of business that go out of business are actually non-union

I think if you look into it you will find that is most likely the management of the company is the main reason companies go out of business
    Ball Container bought Reynolds Metals in Tampa, Ball container asked the Union to take some concessions so the plant could be profitable and stay open, the union refused to take any concessions and Ball Container closed the plant, sold the property, a developer bought the property tore down the plant and built apartments on the site.

How many airlines have been put out of business by the Union?

PATCO sure made a good decison going on strike didn't they?

what about all those non-union companies??
    who do you blame for their closure

I took a drive through a small town that was full of machine shops and press plants the other day. 5 years ago I worked in these places on their chillers and burners and one thing they all had in common was they were all non-union.
    I was amazed to see that on one road that had about 20 plants (employed about 75-200 people per plant) everything was closed.

so what is the excuse for these companies? There was no union involved!

Exclamation IBTL

you won't have to worry about this $hit.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/newreply.ph...te=1&p=3842252

Senior Tech- Very good post. There does not seem to be any need to save the OP from a terrible fate. Worst case he will not like it and quit. A learning experience. It is like joining the military which could get him killed or wounded. It really serves no purpose to say things like "non union sucks". Oh, no one said that. It would only serve to offend and should be deleted.

Good one tinner.

Quote Originally Posted by coolestacman View Post
    what about all those non-union companies??
    who do you blame for their closure

I took a drive through a small town that was full of machine shops and press plants the other day. 5 years ago I worked in these places on their chillers and burners and one thing they all had in common was they were all non-union.
    I was amazed to see that on one road that had about 20 plants (employed about 75-200 people per plant) everything was closed.

so what is the excuse for these companies? There was no union involved!
    UAW

OK, I get it, this union vs. non union debate will never come to an agreeable resolution. But to you Mr. bwalley, your vitrial towards the union and union members is just plain ridiculous. Somewhere along the line you had a bad experience wth unions, get over it. I work for a local that allows contractors to send techs back to the hall if they dont perform as expected or for any other reason that a business owner may legitamately have. I have worked for both non-union and union shops. If you are a good tech, your working. If your not a good tech, ur on the bench. Please refrain from spewing such hatred toward unions and my union brothers, thank-you in advance.

??

do you believe elvis is still alive

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast