Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Union tips

Post Likes
    you won't have to worry about this $hit.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/newreply.ph...te=1&p=3842252
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Senior Tech- Very good post. There does not seem to be any need to save the OP from a terrible fate. Worst case he will not like it and quit. A learning experience. It is like joining the military which could get him killed or wounded. It really serves no purpose to say things like "non union sucks". Oh, no one said that. It would only serve to offend and should be deleted.

Post Likes
    Good one tinner.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolestacman View Post
    what about all those non-union companies??
    who do you blame for their closure

I took a drive through a small town that was full of machine shops and press plants the other day. 5 years ago I worked in these places on their chillers and burners and one thing they all had in common was they were all non-union.
    I was amazed to see that on one road that had about 20 plants (employed about 75-200 people per plant) everything was closed.

so what is the excuse for these companies? There was no union involved!
    UAW

Post Likes
    OK, I get it, this union vs. non union debate will never come to an agreeable resolution. But to you Mr. bwalley, your vitrial towards the union and union members is just plain ridiculous. Somewhere along the line you had a bad experience wth unions, get over it. I work for a local that allows contractors to send techs back to the hall if they dont perform as expected or for any other reason that a business owner may legitamately have. I have worked for both non-union and union shops. If you are a good tech, your working. If your not a good tech, ur on the bench. Please refrain from spewing such hatred toward unions and my union brothers, thank-you in advance.

Post Likes
    ??

do you believe elvis is still alive

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    OK, I get it, this union vs. non union debate will never come to an agreeable resolution. But to you Mr. bwalley, your vitrial towards the union and union members is just plain ridiculous. Somewhere along the line you had a bad experience wth unions, get over it. I work for a local that allows contractors to send techs back to the hall if they dont perform as expected or for any other reason that a business owner may legitamately have. I have worked for both non-union and union shops. If you are a good tech, your working. If your not a good tech, ur on the bench. Please refrain from spewing such hatred toward unions and my union brothers, thank-you in advance.
    I have no issue with any Union member, it is just Unions in general I don't like, the USPS has a great Union don't they??

How about the NEA, aren't they a great Union?

I own my business so I don't have any use for a Union, if I was a slacker, then I would want to be in a union.

Post Likes
    a union is the members so when you have an issue with the union you have issue with the members

Post Likes
    a union is the members so when you have an issue with the union you have issue with the members
    So does that mean that since there are a bunch of slackers in Unions, everyone is a slacker?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    I have no issue with any Union member, it is just Unions in general I don't like, the USPS has a great Union don't they??

How about the NEA, aren't they a great Union?

I own my business so I don't have any use for a Union, if I was a slacker, then I would want to be in a union.
    So you are not attacking union members, only the unions. Yet in your very next statement you say that union members are slackers. I, sir, am not a slacker. This is the second time Ive come across your posts wherein you make a big proclamation about being a business owner, as if that give you some special credentials. It does not!!! I think that your close mindedness will cause you to miss out on some very valuable opportunities in you business ventures. Good ludk

Post Likes
    I suppose you have troubles working with people being you are a superhero

Post Likes
    So you are not attacking union members, only the unions. Yet in your very next statement you say that union members are slackers. I, sir, am not a slacker. This is the second time Ive come across your posts wherein you make a big proclamation about being a business owner, as if that give you some special credentials. It does not!!! I think that your close mindedness will cause you to miss out on some very valuable opportunities in you business ventures. Good ludk
    My point about being a business owner is there are some people who hire people and some people who get hired.

If I was an employee and just wanted to work my 40 hours a week and collect a paycheck, a Union may be the way to go, but I have bigger dreams and goals than just collecting a paycheck.

Post Likes
    just fyi

In Ontario the unions have done well and it is very common to see union jobs on budget and on time

one other point in our union there are very few slackers because they don't seem to stay around long due to competitive reasons

Post Likes
    I suppose you have troubles working with people being you are a superhero
    My clients seem to like me just fine and my employees seem to be happy working for me, my subs may or may not like me, but they do like gettting paid within 1 week of submitting a draw request, how many other GC's pay that quick?

Post Likes
    My point about being a business owner is there are some people who hire people and some people who get hired.

If I was an employee and just wanted to work my 40 hours a week and collect a paycheck, a Union may be the way to go, but I have bigger dreams and goals than just collecting a paycheck.
    Thats great, good for you. I respect that. But because I chose not to take on the headaches of being a business owner, that somehow makes me not as worthy as you. Loosen up and get that chip off of your shoulder, you will be much happier.

Post Likes
    so i collect a very good paycheck and go fishing, boating, cruising and racing

if that is slacking then i am guilty of being a slacker

Post Likes
    bwally- please read post 16.
    See also #20.

The OP gets it. Your point is made.

No one will change your mind.
    Nor mine after 35 great years.

People don't change their minds. That is why you voted for George the 2d time when it was clear that he would lead us to a world record debt and keep our boys coming home in boxes.

When you say "sucks" it sounds like a quote from Beavis and Butthead.

Post Likes
    Thats great, good for you. I respect that. But because I chose not to take on the headaches of being a business owner, that somehow makes me not as worthy as you. Loosen up and get that chip off of your shoulder, you will be much happier.
    I never took a shhot at any individual Union member.

I have relatives that are Union members, my FIL was a union member and he complained more about how the Union was screwing things up because of unreasonable negotiations, all the Union cares about is what they can get, they don't care if the company goes out of business.

Problem is when these overpaid union members put a company out of business, they can't get jobs that pay the same as the ones they lost due to their own greed.

Post Likes
    I never took a shhot at any individual Union member.

I have relatives that are Union members, my FIL was a union member and he complained more about how the Union was screwing things up because of unreasonable negotiations, all the Union cares about is what they can get, they don't care if the company goes out of business.

Problem is when these overpaid union members put a company out of business, they can't get jobs that pay the same as the ones they lost due to their own greed.
    Well I do get paid very well, but believe me, I, we, are not putting anybody out of business. Contrctors are making a 30% profit margin off of most jobs and are doing quite well , thank you. If a contractor is not making any money and is going out of business because of the union, then please explain to me why that contractor is a signatory to the union?

Post Likes
    what about the poor bastards that stay non-union and work for sub standard wages and their companies go out of business. I guess they can be comforted with the fact that they can easily take a job at McDonalds and not suffer a change in life style.

I think they would be better off to be overpaid and worry about a life style change when it or if it happens.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in