Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 40 to 49 of 49

Thread: Union tips

  1. #40
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    276
    what about the poor bastards that stay non-union and work for sub standard wages and their companies go out of business. I guess they can be comforted with the fact that they can easily take a job at McDonalds and not suffer a change in life style.

    I think they would be better off to be overpaid and worry about a life style change when it or if it happens.

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    Well I do get paid very well, but believe me, I, we, are not putting anybody out of business. Contrctors are making a 30% profit margin off of most jobs and are doing quite well , thank you. If a contractor is not making any money and is going out of business because of the union, then please explain to me why that contractor is a signatory to the union?
    Florida is a right to work state, so we are not forced to be union, there are some trades that are exclusively union, like elevator and they are usually the biggest whiners on a job.

    But there are many companies that unions have put out of business, the UAW is one reason why GM and Chrysler are in bankruptcy and obama screwed over secured debt holders to help the union, eventually they will be out of business and the taxpayers will be holding the bag.

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,145
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    Florida is a right to work state, so we are not forced to be union, there are some trades that are exclusively union, like elevator and they are usually the biggest whiners on a job.

    But there are many companies that unions have put out of business, the UAW is one reason why GM and Chrysler are in bankruptcy and obama screwed over secured debt holders to help the union, eventually they will be out of business and the taxpayers will be holding the bag.
    I believe you are wrong about the UAW being the reason for GM and Chryslers failures. There is plenty of blame to go around for thier failures including but not limited to, poor business management, the banking fiasco etc. And as far as whiners go, I am really beginning to think that you sir, are one big whiner yourself. JMHO Good Night
    Last edited by monkeyman#1; 07-10-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: calling it a night

  4. #43
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    276
    you are showing your ignorance

    on every union contract there is two sets of signatures management and labour if management couldn't meet the conditions they shouldn't have signed

    you seem to have the whole gm and chrysler thing figured out what about all these non-union companies that go tits up?????

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    I believe you are wrong about the UAW being the reason for GM and Chryslers failures. There is plenty of blame to go around for thier failures including but not limited to, poor business management, the banking fiasco etc. And as far as whiners go, I am really beginning to think that you sir, are one big whiner yourself. JMHO
    The biggest issue with GM and Chrysler being where they are financially is because they were scared of the uions and would not fight them and it is the legacy costs that are killing them.

    I am not a whiner, I go to work everyday and I do whatever it takes to get the job done, I work just as hard if not harder than my guys do, I am not the type of guy who says that not my job.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    276
    does that include bouncing balls off your chin?

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by coolestacman View Post
    does that include bouncing balls off your chin?
    actually that is a union specialty, at least you guys gobble the goober.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    276
    only the guys like you that think they are superheros and eventually they open their own businesses

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona DUH
    Posts
    174
    Bwalley works in a right to work state and due to the "global economy" the Unions are not as strong there. It drives me nuts that guys ask questions on here and someone always has to insult others to feel better. This was my merit shop co-workers. Seriously, if you all think that it the union versus non union your companies ought to have you drug tested cause your smoking something. Politics have made this a fight and the companies are the ones who decide who works and doesn't. If we have a POS tech, he doesn't work for us. If he is good he stays. The Union doesn't send us an endless supply of dipsh**s.

    We all need to realize that with this economy and our uncertain future we all need to find better ways to help each other and preserve our trade before they find a way to outsource it to India or China.

    And since I can make the claim that I have worked both, one thing I learned when I first made into the union was a one month history lesson on unions. We ALL i mean ALL would not have the oportunities we have today if the the workers 70-80 years ago did not stand up for workers rights. These were safety and health and it really had to suck back then. So if you don't like unions and it isnt for you, then fine. But just remember, there were many who died, yes died, fighting for the very laws and regulations that protect you today. Thats like saying to all the veterans today that we know you gave your life for our freedom, but now we have the military sucks ass and because thier are some deadbeats and slackers in the military lets get rid of it cause I do not need it anymore. Again politics and big companies have put this as the desintigration of the industry. Together we stand up, divided we fall......I like negotiating my wages, benifits and work conditions as a group then as one...........

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    6,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    It seems to me the op asked a legitimate question about something he has already made his mind up on.

    Don't let this turn into yet another pile of trash that ends up closed.

    Some like unions and some don't, it's obvious based on a zillion other threads and we all know that...so if you can't help the guy with good info without bashing...don't post.

    Another example of a good thread going south...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event