Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Union tips

Union tips

Im currently in the process of becoming app. for local 72 in Atlanta Georgia, I have a interview on thurs. and was wondering if the was currently any members on here that can tell me what to expect, and what were some of the questions that they asked you, when you where going threw the process.

You want a Tip about Unions?

Get a job that pays you based on YOUR ability and hard work.

Or better yet, learn the trade get your license and start your own business, once you own a business you will soon realize Unions don't help you.

Your going for a 1st year job, they won't ask anything technical as your not really suppose to know anything. That's why your a 1st year! Maybe something like your schedule, additional schooling wants, desires in life, basic "personal" questions to try to find out what kind of worker/person you are.

Just be honest and if they do ask something you don't know, don't try BSing them. It's ok to not know an answer and shown more character to say that then to spew garbage at them. If you do have some experience, be humble. Nobody likes a know it all. JUST BE HONEST!!!

Good Luck

local 832s = Good answer!

The Unions have such an excellent training program. Free schools and job service with on the job training. After seeing the work around here for 35 years, I can assure you that the training pays off in the high quality of craftsman ship. We get travelers from every state working out of our Local.

There is plenty of time to start a shop of your own if you want later if you want to go that way.

Obviously you chose union so let them know that. Tell them, "the union is my first choice for this field".

Also, they may ask you what type of work are you willing to do... the obvious answer is HVAC, but let them know that you're willing to do plumbing and pipefitting too.

thanks guys

jlw1980 makes a very good point. It is like the military. You will have to do whatever work they choose and you will get lots of varied experience. No quitting jobs no matter how much you don't like it.

If you study a specialty on your own, such as HVAC, that would encourage them to send you to such a job. Sometime an apprentice gets lucky and gets to stay with one shop, but you have to be willing to learn and do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    You want a Tip about Unions?

Get a job that pays you based on YOUR ability and hard work.

Or better yet, learn the trade get your license and start your own business, once you own a business you will soon realize Unions don't help you.
    you know that is what my mom told me

I left high school and started working hard "non-union residential", after about a year and a half I asked the boss for a chance as an apprentice and the following Monday I was laid off.

The guys I worked with felt I had been screwed over and they helped me get a job in a small union refrigeration company.

best thing that ever happened, I became an apprentice, made good money about 30-40 percent more then a non-union person and I have not looked back

Today I have a pension that is good, benefits, some of the best work and when I need backing my union is there

I can honestly say that the only thing working non-union did for me was to open my eyes and help me realize that the little guy needs all the help he can get

So future apprentice stay on track go union and get involved with your union that way you can understand how unions work

MOST PEOPLE THAT BASH UNION DO SO BECAUSE THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW UNIONS WORK

Good luck

Don't listen to all the blowhards....Do what you feel is best for YOU. In this trade its all for one ond one for all. I worked both and I like the Union for the simple fact wherever I go I don't have to start out on the bottom of the totum pole with pay and benifits. Second, if you are smart and well rounded, ex. work on chillers , unitary and controls you will always have a job.

As for your interview, if this is to put your place on a list then the interview is important. You have to understand that most of these interviews, at least out here, are conducted by 1/2 union guys and 1/2 contractor guys with usually the apprentice coordinator as the mediator. Dress nice, not too casual not too fancy. Be clean I guess I am saying dont go in with a ZZ top beard (if you know who zz top was) shorts and smelling like a brewery. The contractors want guys that are company men and the union wants guys that are more employye friendly. In the Union we call these guys steady eddie's (company guys) and hall trash (union floaters) I hate both titles, of course I have had both....lol. Try and answers questions that put you in the middle. If they ask why do you want to be in the Union tell them the truth not the whole truth...lol

I said, I want to help the companies by making my self more productive with all of the training availible and I felt the Union was a great place to better myself and to work with the highest trained guys in the industry. My non-union freinds are going to kick me in the ding ding but look its an interview and there really isnt a right or wrong thing to say, just how you word it. If you go in and say I want to be in the Union so I can stand up to the man, then the contractors are x'ing you out. They don't want a person who is always throwing the CBA book at them if they take an 11 minute break instaed of 10. And if you say I am in it for the money and benifits, then the Union guys think here is another slacker who will leave if a non-union shop offers him more money and we trained him? See where I am going with this.

Good luck, the Union has been good for alot of people, the ones that hate it are the ones who would run to the boss everytime you did something wrong to get ahead. merit is good as long as its your work that is talking and not your coworkers....;0)

I had the same question, im glad i found this thread! Ive applied with Local 525 here in Las Vegas and take my test in September. Ive already gone through trade school in Phoenix at RSI and had to relocate because my girlfriend got a job with a law firm here.
    The first stop i made while looking for work was the apprenticeship office, filled out my app, and gave them all the neccesary paperwork.
    Its good to hear from all you guys in the union speaking so highly of it and what it means to you. I was in the carpenters union out of highschool and loved the knoweledge i got from it both in the classroom and in the field. I can only hope that the pipefitters offer me the same if not better oppertunity.
    Ive been working in the field now for 6 months as a non union tech and i know without a doubt that non union work is not for me. Even with a trade school degree i know there is alot more to this trade than what i learned there.

There is good and bad in both non union and union. But if you keep trying and show that you care, give the company an honest day, you can't go wrong in this field period.

You will be surprised how your name will spread throughout the industry.

It seems to me that continued education just isnt important to non union companies, thats what made up my mind to work union.

Quote Originally Posted by coolestacman View Post
    you know that is what my mom told me

I left high school and started working hard "non-union residential", after about a year and a half I asked the boss for a chance as an apprentice and the following Monday I was laid off.

The guys I worked with felt I had been screwed over and they helped me get a job in a small union refrigeration company.

best thing that ever happened, I became an apprentice, made good money about 30-40 percent more then a non-union person and I have not looked back

Today I have a pension that is good, benefits, some of the best work and when I need backing my union is there

I can honestly say that the only thing working non-union did for me was to open my eyes and help me realize that the little guy needs all the help he can get

So future apprentice stay on track go union and get involved with your union that way you can understand how unions work

MOST PEOPLE THAT BASH UNION DO SO BECAUSE THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW UNIONS WORK
    Good luck
    Do Unions really Work??

My experience is the protect lazy incompetent workers and put companies out of business.

A friend of mine is also a contractor in Florida and 1 job he bid on required it be done by Union workers, the Union Glaziers did such a great job, he had to hire another crew at his expense to fix their work, the union guys were more expensive, slower and did crappy work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast