Thread: Is this safe?

Is this safe?

I am currently investigating other issues with my system, and I noticed something today that worry's me. Attached is the gas vent for my system. When I had my heat pump put in (mainly for AC) I wanted a filter better then the screens that came with the furnace. The only place the contractor could find to put it in was above the furnace. The furnace is a down draft? (the coil is below the furnace). The contractor put in the 4" filter directly above the furnace. The vent pipe as shown in the picture was not change much from what you see. (the water heater is beside the furnace and the two vents join each other in a Y and then goes up through the roof.

My concern is that the cover for the filter is not sealed in any way (no rubber or foam seal of any type -?is this normal?).

It is very rear that the gas furnace kicks on as the temp in my area generally does not drop below 30 and when it does, it usually is not more then 10 days or so a year (excluding the last two years that is).

The vent is not sealed. If the furnace was to kick on, is there a chance that exhaust gases could be sucked into the return by leaks in the filter door?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It shouldn't.
    Depends on if your basement has enough free air.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It's ok to me. In fact, that flue pipe actually runs through the blower compartment of that particular furnace.
    It's just rocket science. It's not like it's heat and air work or something.

Its in my guarage

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    It shouldn't.
    Depends on if your basement has enough free air.
    Inside garage. Only "ventilation" provided is what is able to get past the garage door.

If you have a good tight seal on that door. Then you may want to worry about it.
    Contractor locator map

Not sure what you mean by tight.

It's 18 or so years old, so I am sure it is not tight compared to modern standards. There is some light under the door. Side seals seem ok. Door to house has a good seal (it's new as I had to replace it, has magnetic cling to door).

I added a more zoomed back picture to show the rest of the vent system. The system was inspected when the HP was added...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FrankD; 07-07-2009 at 12:19 AM. Reason: add detail.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Understand that the furnace door isn't air tight either.

Provide combustion air ,to be safe.

You should probably consider a combustion air intake.
    You should have 50 cubic foot of free space for every 1000 BTUs of input for your gas appliances.

So if your furnace is an 80,000BTU input, and your water heater is a 32,000 BTU input.
    Your garage should have a volume of 5,600 cubic foot.
    Contractor locator map