CARRIER INFINITY FILTER

CARRIER INFINITY FILTER

The filter that came with my new Carrier Infinity system is so thin that I can almost read the newspaper through it. I was told that any filter for this unit must have a metal frame because there is a spring clip at the back of the tray that holds the filter and any disposable filter with a cardboard frame will be crushed? Is this true?

While I understand the need to be careful about too much static pressure, I would like to try a disposable filter that might catch somewhat more dust and irritants. Of course, I need to get custom filters made since the size that I require (21 12 x 19 7/8 x 1) is non-standard.

Also, does anyone know of any good reusable filters with a metal frame? The only ones that I know of are made by a company called Dust Free, in Texas. I had one of their filters with my old equipment and found it so-so at best.

I don't have room in my installation for one of the larger filters from Carrier that only gets changed once a year.

Thanks!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    You may be able to have your return grills changed to a type that holds a filter.

How many and what size return grilles do you have.Post pics of them,if you can,along with the model numbers of the units.

Agreed ,what comes with the unit is not a great filter.
    Last edited by dash; 07-06-2009 at 10:20 PM.

If you have the Infinity furnace you should have had installed a 5" filter frame and also should have had a 5" filter with your furnace purchase. I received one and everyone else I know that has this furnace also received a 5" filter frame and filter. You might want to call your installer and ask him where your filter frame is and 5" filter that comes with the furnace is !!! Otherwise you could upgrade and buy a AprileAire 5000 EAC instead of the 5" filter which works really well, one of the better EAC's on the market today.

Dan, he does not have an infinity furnace that comes with the media filter box..
    He has a infinity air handler that has a built in odd size 1" filter holder..
    I hate 1" filters.. odd size ones are even worse..

I would suggest contacting your installing contractor and requesting a qoute on installing a media filter system or the infinity air purifier..

You have a great system,, you should protect it with a great filter system..

J

I'm a big fan of the Spacegard 2200 and 2400 filter systems. They will go 6 months before needing changed in most cases. You could possibly push them a little further if you have a tidy house with no animals. They are the best bang for the buck IMO.
    It's just rocket science. It's not like it's heat and air work or something.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The OP stated;

"I don't have room in my installation for one of the larger filters from Carrier that only gets changed once a year."

So,if that's correct,return filter grills ,sized properly for better filters is likely the best choice.

This is true. Oops..

If you decide to go with filter grilles, make sure they are sized properly (as stated) since filter grilles are more restrictive than regular stamp faced grilles. So if your return grilles were originally only sized to the minimal size, you'll have to add another or go bigger.
    It's just rocket science. It's not like it's heat and air work or something.