Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Advice on "Dented" Line

Hi everyone! First time poster..

Over the weekend I was moving some dirt around my central a/c for my house and accidently bumped the smaller refrigerant tubing with a tamper (DOH!). Attached are a couple of pictures of the line. It caused a dent in the line, about less than 1/4 of the diameter. My question is, will this new dent in the line cause my a/c to fail? Any suggestions are welcome!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Will need repair...

As long as you have no noticable loss of cooling it should be ok for a short period of time, however without checking the head pressure on the liquid line I'm not going to say its not detrimental to your system. Long term it will eventually begin to wear away the copper from inside to out ( over years).
    Its something I would definatly have a qualified service tech recover the refrigerant, replaced that section of copper, replaced the filter drier, leak test, evacuate and recharge.

JS

...sigh...

approximately how much does something like that typically cost?

From the site rules.

3. No pricing questions please

Only people who actually see your job can price it accordingly. There will be no pricing allowed in the public access areas of this site. Please do not ask for or give pricing comparative information.
    Posts of this type will be deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

depends

Quote Originally Posted by 05GTSTANG View Post
    approximately how much does something like that typically cost?
    Depends on your area, call your local shops and ask is all I can suggest. hourly rate / drive time / trip chg. / recovery chg. / filter drier / R-22 / . Shouldn't be to bad.
    From the looks of it in your pics, and if your on a tight budget, you have a liitle time. If you were to feel the line ahead of the dent and after the dent and there is no noticable change in temperature it shouldn't be restricted to free flow of refrigerant. Only real way to tell is with a high side gauge attached. Its kind of like pinching off a water hose.

js

Thanks ReferTroop!

Sounds about right , U could check your temperature at your vents with thermometer and see whether or not you are getting 55-60 degrees in (cooling). Assuming house, and ductwork is sealed. But whenever possible get a technician that you trust to look at the unit for you.

Glad to be of service..

A simple repair really.

js

doesn't really that bad imo, ive seen alot worse and didn't affect the head pressure much if any.

you could have it repaired, or it may never cause problems.. id just get a quote and see if you think the money is worth it.. maybe a hr of labor, two at the most

pump it down, add drier, vac. and let it ride

Quote Originally Posted by ReferTroop View Post
    Depends on your area, call your local shops and ask is all I can suggest. hourly rate / drive time / trip chg. / recovery chg. / filter drier / R-22 / . Shouldn't be to bad.
    From the looks of it in your pics, and if your on a tight budget, you have a liitle time. If you were to feel the line ahead of the dent and after the dent and there is no noticable change in temperature it shouldn't be restricted to free flow of refrigerant. Only real way to tell is with a high side gauge attached. Its kind of like pinching off a water hose.

js
    Not in the trade and just wondering: Would it be possible to isolate the charge/freon in the condenser to avoid having to recover and recharge, which would really help the cost given the going rate of an R22 jug nowadays?

May be able to.
    Depends on how long a line set. And what size coil its matched to.
    Contractor locator map

Hard to tell in the pics but, I'm thinking something, that involves a .
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-06-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Removed suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Hard to tell in the pics but, I'm thinking something, that involves a .
    Don't need to suggest that. And have him make it worse.

Although, I thought the same thing.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast