Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a Tech Out

I have a bit of advice for you. Before anybody comes out and while you are making your flurry of phone calls. Tell the person on the other end of the phone exactly what you are wanting done. Tell them that unless they are willing to do exactly what you want, with appropriate testing equipment, you are not going to pay them. That should weed out a fair amount of company's. I will warn you that whichever company comes out, is going to be far from cheap. You will probably pay a pretty decent amount of money for that to happen and I would imagine they will spend a fair amount of time there which will translate into $$$ out of your pocket. They are probably going to make recommendations which are also going to be pricey. If you are unwilling to pay for those recommendations, I wouldn't even bother calling them. It sounds like the issues you have can very possibly be quite expensive. Just be prepared ahead of time.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I thought you said he didn't measure the static.

If its really moving 1375CFM with a 21°delta. Then its removing 31,185BTUs of sensible heat.
    He didn't measure the static. The static reading is from the energy auditor this past Winter with the same type of blue fiberglass filter that I've been using with the blower set to medium for heat. I guess the static is probably slightly higher now when the coil is wet.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by skizot View Post
    ... What should I be doing now? I'm afraid you all are going to say get another tech. I don't have $+ to shell out on every visit trying techs until I find one that knows what he's doing (not a slam on the members of this forum at all... I wish one of you was in my area for sure ).
    After all that you had to tell him and he didn't do it or even understand it, don't you think that you can call the owner and explain that you won't pay until you see a tech that can do the work? If he was the owner, well... Just tell him you aren't going to pay.

Think that m kilgore is right on about asking before anybody shows to prevent wasting time and money.

PS: I'm a HO, not a pro. But this is just service call sense to me. Of course I do have to be careful what I tell my auto mechanic. He does what I say first if I suggest the solution and not the problem which can get expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    I have a bit of advice for you. Before anybody comes out and while you are making your flurry of phone calls. Tell the person on the other end of the phone exactly what you are wanting done. Tell them that unless they are willing to do exactly what you want, with appropriate testing equipment, you are not going to pay them. That should weed out a fair amount of company's. I will warn you that whichever company comes out, is going to be far from cheap. You will probably pay a pretty decent amount of money for that to happen and I would imagine they will spend a fair amount of time there which will translate into $$$ out of your pocket. They are probably going to make recommendations which are also going to be pricey. If you are unwilling to pay for those recommendations, I wouldn't even bother calling them. It sounds like the issues you have can very possibly be quite expensive. Just be prepared ahead of time.
    Thanks. I don't think my expectations are that wild. I want a cooling system that can cool the house more than 0.7 *F in 3 hours (which is how the system has performed since he left). Is that unreasonable? Also, I don't mind paying what it takes to get a functioning system. I also live and die by the rule that you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, I don't call these HVAC companies and ask them what their hourly rate is, and then pick the most expensive one.

Edit: The temperature outside has been between 83 and 85 with a dew point of 59 degrees. That's far from hot. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryd_2008 View Post
    PS: I'm a HO, not a pro. But this is just service call sense to me. Of course I do have to be careful what I tell my auto mechanic. He does what I say first if I suggest the solution and not the problem which can get expensive.
    Well auto mechanics differ also not all of them have the tools or knowledge to do it all. I bet I could pull my 1200 Hp Nova into 9 out of 10 garages and only one "MIGHT" be able to set my injectors for the right mix for the best HP to the gear ratio I have, you getting my drift?

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    ... Unfortunately, I don't call these HVAC companies and ask them what their hourly rate is, and then pick the most expensive one.
    I would ask what is a ball park for the fix. Ain't nothing wrong with asking what the hourly rate is. Don't want what I saw elsewhere when a company, plumber, I believe, said they do fix rate charging and a $200 toilet fixture cost the unsuspecting $675, as I recall.

a $200 toilet fixture cost the unsuspecting $675, as I recall.

$200 for the HO to buy at Home Depot, pick it up, take it home, and install himself, and if it fails within the warranty period. He can take it out, return it, get a new one free and take it home and reinstall it himself again. He saved himself $475. I`m curious, what in your eyes would have been fair for that contractor to make that day? You did see the job, Right?

Quote Originally Posted by h2045 View Post
    $ for the HO to buy at Home Depot, pick it up, take it home, and install himself, and if it fails within the warranty period. He can take it out, return it, get a new one free and take it home and reinstall it himself again. He saved himself $. I`m curious, what in your eyes would have been fair for that contractor to make that day? You did see the job, Right?
    This really isn't the thread for that discussion, but I'll humor it. I had to have a toilet replaced after I bought my home. I called the builder, and he called the plumber out to replace it. I could have done it myself, but it was covered under my warranty. The plumber came, and spent less than 45 minutes total replacing it; he knew what he was doing. I don't know about you, but $ / hour for a plumber seems a little high, don't you think?
    Last edited by skizot; 07-06-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: removed plumbing prices; not allowed on an HVAC site

If people want to make this a pricing thread.

I'll make it a CLOSED thread.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If people want to make this a pricing thread.

I'll make it a CLOSED thread.
    LMAO.

This really isn't the thread for that discussion, but I'll humor it. I had to have a toilet replaced after I bought my home. I called the builder, and he called the plumber out to replace it. I could have done it myself, but it was covered under my warranty. The plumber came, and spent less than 45 minutes replacing it; he knew what he was doing. I don't know about you, but $475 / hour for a plumber seems a little high, don't you think?

Yep, but as I see it. That is between the plumber and the builder since you were covered by the builder`s warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by h2045 View Post
    Yep, but as I see it. That is between the plumber and the builder since you were covered by the builder`s warranty.
    You completely missed the point, but hey, it doesn't matter as beenthere already said the pricing stops. I wasn't the one who posted the amounts earlier, that was another poster. Might want to re-read.

This really isn't the thread for that discussion, but I'll humor it. I had to have a toilet replaced after I bought my home. I called the builder, and he called the plumber out to replace it. I could have done it myself, but it was covered under my warranty. The plumber came, and spent less than 45 minutes total replacing it; he knew what he was doing. I don't know about you, but $ / hour for a plumber seems a little high, don't you think?
    There are toilets of all types some more expensive than others.

Forget that you have no idea how much other time was spent in that install job or other cost related to the job. You do not see the drive time to pick up the fixture, the time spent processing warranty paper work, the office helps time, insurance cost etc... you do not have a clue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast