Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Advice on New condeser

Wanted to ask you guys on the forum what they think is the best bang for the buck when it comes to outside condeser's. I recently had a Goodman 4 ton 13 seer installed in my home and it was stolen. Now I am looking at different options and need some advice.

I want to stick with 13 seer now more than ever because I am out alot of money twice in a row. What unit do you guys recommend for a 4 ton outside condeser 13 seer R-22 or 410A? My unit in the attic is a trane and will use either R-22 or 410A. I thought Goodman was a good unit, however I am realizing how many different units are available and I want to make a good choice for peace of mind.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You won't get a Trane for the Goodman price. I can't really say as there's a whole lotta difference in any unit these days. But, that's only my opinion.
    That being said, why not go Trane all the way? Have a matched system.

I recently had a Goodman 4 ton 13 seer installed in my home and it was stolen.

That`s a new one on me, I won`t even ask how they pulled that off. Go with the Trane as DW says. You should get something from your HO insurance and with a little additional you can step up to a match. I would do 410A and put some concrete anchors through the base pan to slow `em up a little the next time.

One important question, how old is the Trane unit?

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    One important question, how old is the Trane unit?
    The Trane unit is a 2002 unit, not that old. Or atleast I don't think thats old for one of these units. I don't really know the life span on these things. My HOI has a 2500 deductible so that puts me right back to square one. Since I already spent almost that on installing the other unit I am tight on money. Paying for a condenser twice in 2 weeks is not what I had in mind.

Trane units are pricey and I know they last, however I have to look at the money aspect of this whole thing and try to get something that is going to last the family for awhile.

Well,if money's tight... Make sure that unit is 410 compatible, if that's the way you're going.

What is model # of attic unit? Back in 2002, probably not designed for R410a, they had separate models specifically for 410. So may be stuck with 22 on it. For best operation, don't mismatch brands and make sure the installer puts a TXV on the air handler if doesn't have already.

Will the 2002 air handler coil be too small for the new larger 13 SEER condenser?

Edit: Bald Loonie already answered with "get a TXV".

This is just a thought but you might be able to get your insurance company to spring for a complete new system indoor & out after your deductable.
    It wouldn't hurt to ask because you don't know what kind of problems have been created with your inside unit plus you probably can't find an ARI matched unit now.
    You may have a problem with the fact that your condenser was mismatched before but its still worth a shot..

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Will the 2002 air handler coil be too small for the new larger 13 SEER condenser?

Edit: Bald Loonie already answered with "get a TXV".
    Yea, that BL is pretty sharp.

If it were a heat pump, he would need a new matching indoor coil. TXV or not.

What about the warranty on the new condenser considering it is connected to a 7 year old smaller evap coil?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    What is model # of attic unit? Back in 2002, probably not designed for R410a, they had separate models specifically for 410. So may be stuck with 22 on it. For best operation, don't mismatch brands and make sure the installer puts a TXV on the air handler if doesn't have already.
    I don't have the model # handy. The attic unit said r-22 or 410A compatible but its been using R-22 since it was installed. So even if I run a 13 seer R-22 unit I still have to get a TXV? How would I find out if it does have a TXV on it? Trane is going to be out of my price range as i did not budget for replacing this unit twice. Also if I do get a 410A unit do I have to change the coil out in the attic unit if it is compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    If it were a heat pump, he would need a new matching indoor coil. TXV or not.

What about the warranty on the new condenser considering it is connected to a 7 year old smaller evap coil?

Insurance company,home warranty company, they don't care. But, you maybe could get a contractor to talk to the adjuster, plant a bug in his ear. What could it hurt?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast